HR Specialist, Advancement & Alumni Relations
HR Specialist, Advancement & Alumni Relations
The George Mason University Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations invites qualified candidates to apply for a full-time HR Specialist position. The University Advancement division is a comprehensive development and alumni relations enterprise with a staff complement of approximately 135 full-time employees. Functional units within Advancement include development/fundraising, alumni relations, stewardship and donor relations, advancement communications, special events, gift processing, research, prospect management, gift planning, corporate and foundation relations, information systems and management, and infrastructure services.
Advancement’s mission is to build strong, lifelong relationships with George Mason University’s alumni and constituents, while matching their philanthropic interests with the university’s aspirations and priorities. The division is committed to serving the needs of the university, our alumni, and the greater community by providing access to quality education and lifelong learning. Respect, service, integrity, collaboration, diversity, transparency, and creativity are the values that guide our work and culture.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position also offers:
- Potential for flexible, hybrid telework scheduling;
- Competitive salary;
- Outstanding benefits include:
- Health & life insurance, multiple industry-leading retirement plans available, including state VRS Hybrid Retirement Plan, accrued paid days off per year, paid holidays, paid winter break, paid sick leave, professional development, tuition reimbursement at GMU, and employee assistance programs.
About the Position:
The HR Specialist is responsible for managing various Human Resources functions such as recruitment coordination, performance management, onboarding, employee files, and engagement initiatives. The position also helps in designing, developing, and maintaining HR management systems and controls, HR data analysis and reporting, and assisting with the documentation of the division’s HR processes.
- Assists with recruitment, acquisition, and retention;
- Serves as a recruitment coordinator;
- Processes Wage and Student Wage hires in GMU systems (Banner, Mason Onboard, Handshake, etc.);
- Assists with the onboarding of new hires;
- Manages Onboarding “Buddy” Program for Advancement;
- Develop and update job descriptions and job specifications;
- Creates and updates organizational charts for the Division and Departments as needed;
- Monitors completion of the probationary period and annual performance reviews, provides general guidance and assists with routine questions on performance review processes/tools, runs reports and assists with tracking progress, and may assist with training and communications;
- Assists with the separation and exit interview process;
- Collaborates with Mason HR, Schools, and Units to keep HR data about the division’s employees accurate in university systems (i.e. Banner, PatriotWeb, PeopleFinder);
- Collaborates with the Advancement Operations team to ensure data records remain in sync;
- Assists with editing development.gmu.edu when needed;
- Processes and maintains Rewards & Recognition for Office of Advancement in relation to all staff awards or department-wide requests;
- Updates salary data and other reports for use by senior college administrators in allocation planning;
- Tracks employment forms and communications (remote work agreements, conflict of interest memos, etc.), follows up as needed, and files;
- Receives, responds to, resolves, and counsels employees on payroll questions and issues, and services;
- Tracks the completion of required trainings and onboarding efforts;
- Assists with communication development and distribution of HR news, policy, announcements, trainings, etc.;
- Assist with researching, organizing, and the creation of documentation for a variety of processes and procedures; and
- Assists, when needed, with the planning and implementation of trainings or events.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience;
- Demonstrated experience in Human Resources (typically 1-3 years);
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Must be organized, self-motivated, collaborative, and have the ability to work independently on a wide variety of tasks;
- Expert Level Microsoft Outlook and MS Excel spreadsheet experience;
- Experience using and manipulating relational databases (e.g. Ellucian Advance, Microsoft Access, Ellucian Banner, PeopleSoft, or similar);
- Demonstrated communication skills (both oral and written);
- Customer service skills and orientation;
- Exceptional service orientation to supporting employees and dealing with sensitive issues;
- High attention to detail and the capability to maintain discretion and confidentiality;
- Organizational and tracking skills;
- Skills to provide all aspects of executive-level administrative support, especially communication with and generation of external correspondence;
- Ability to work independently and to complete multiple tasks within tight deadlines;
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality in a highly visible office; and
- Ability to provide timely and relevant input concerning external relations activities, meetings, and events as well as to act for the good of the Advancement office in a wide variety of situations.
- Current (or expired) Society of Human Resource Management Certification (SHRM-PHR) or successful completion of SHRM Continuing/Professional Education courses, preferred;
- Experience documenting HR procedures;
- Experience handling confidential information;
- Experience tracking and documenting performance management documents and processes;
- Experience in recruitment coordination and communication; and
- Experience working in a large public institution of higher education.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 03303z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.