Senior Financial Analyst
Senior Financial Analyst
The George Mason University, General Accounting Department, invites applications for a Senior Financial Analyst. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The Senior Financial Analyst plays an integral role for George Mason University, supporting Fiscal Services by conducting financial data analysis and research, generating data to respond to regular and ad hoc requests from the Commonwealth on financial matters, and providing regular and ad hoc analysis for university leadership to aid in monitoring the financial health of the organization. The Senior Financial Analyst works at the direction of Fiscal Services’ Manager of Data Analytics and Financial Analysis, combining data from financial, student, HR, payroll, grants, and financial aid to develop reporting, drive innovation, and aid leadership decision-making.
This position collaborates with team members and colleagues in the Office of Budget and Strategic Planning, Business Intelligence, and other units to enhance reporting on key performance indicators, financial framework, and ad hoc analysis. This position also supports the development of revised reports/processes to enable Fiscal Services team to gain efficiencies in processes like financial statement preparation, reconciliations, and other internal controls.
The Senior Financial Analyst maintains existing and develops new procedures related to those processes and helps units understand the relationship between the systems and/or Banner modules. They assist units in drilling down to detailed data, as well as participate in testing initiatives related to new features or the data flow between the systems.
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to collect, organize, summarize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information from different data sources or system modules with attention to detail and accuracy;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Data Analytics, IT, or related field or equivalent relevant work experience in finance, budget, accounting, data and/or systems;
- Strategic thinking capabilities and proven ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Knowledge of and experience with reporting packages and databases;
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages (Excel, SPSS, SAS, PowerBI, etc.) and database querying technologies for analyzing data;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and strong customer services skills are essential, including the ability to translate business rules and requirements to the internal technical business intelligence team; and
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office applications, particularly Excel, and advanced functions in Excel (pivot tables, Power Query) and reporting tools (e.g., MicroStrategy, PowerBI) is required.
- Financial modeling, data analysis, and/or budgeting experience are preferred;
- Higher education and/or consulting experience preferred; and
- Familiarity with the Banner finance system, SQL scripts, and MicroStrategy is desired
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 03314Z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.