Dean, College of Science and Mathematics
Georgia Southern University Statesboro, GA Full-time Education
Posted on January 10, 2023
Georgia Southern University (Georgia Southern) invites applications, inquiries, and nominations for the position of Dean for the College of Science and Mathematics (COSM).
COSM is one of the eight academic colleges that comprise Georgia Southern University. The college was created in 2018 from Georgia Southern's College of Science and Mathematics and Armstrong's College of Science and Technology in Savannah. COSM offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs on both the Savannah and Statesboro campuses through the Departments of Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Geology & Geography, Mathematical Sciences, Military Science, and Physics & Astronomy. In addition, COSM offers the Associate of Science degree in the core curriculum and courses to meet the university's general education requirements at the Liberty campus in Hinesville as well as online.
COSM – The college is home to The Institute for Coastal Plain Science (ICPS) studies the fertile world of Georgia's Coastal Plain which covers the southern and southeastern half of the state. This environmental region provides researchers with a living laboratory where marshes, swamps and beaches abound with life. Across the three campuses, COSM boasts state-of-the-art teaching and research labs, including those in support of geospatial technology, the Core Research Lab (CCRL), the Genomics Core Lab, a mass spectrometry suite, and additional instrumentation in support of our faculty members' diverse research interests and to facilitate their numerous collaborations. For more information, visit: https://cosm.georgiasouthern.edu.
The University – Since 1906, the University's hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom, and promotes student growth and life success. Central to Georgia Southern's mission is the faculty's dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement.
In 2018, Armstrong State University and Georgia Southern University consolidated, creating an institution that retained the Georgia Southern University name. The University is comprised of ten colleges on three campuses: the Statesboro Campus, the Armstrong Campus in Savannah, and the Liberty Campus in Hinesville. The University serves nearly 26,000 students and offers an attractive campus environment that encourages learning, discovery, and personal growth. Nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as working citizens. A unit of the University System of Georgia, the University boasts 300 plus student organizations, outstanding Division I athletics, state-of-the-art residence halls and campus facilities. As a public Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a Public Impact Research mission that focuses on community engagement, economic support, and professional development, Georgia Southern is the state's largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta offering 138 degree programs at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels.
Reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer and spokesperson for COSM. The Dean has oversight of approximately 197 full-time faculty, 5 part-time faculty, 35 staff, and 10 academic advisors; supported by a budget of $26 million. The Dean will serve as an engaging, collaborative, and forward-thinking leader who will enhance the COSM's current capabilities to positively impact the region. As a result of rapid growth, Southeast Georgia and Savannah are home to a dynamic economy and expanding industrial infrastructure, and the Dean will be in the unique position to lead COSM and the University's efforts toward playing a critical role in the future growth of the region and the state of Georgia.
Georgia Southern seeks a Dean with exemplary academic leadership skills. The successful candidate must possess an outstanding record of scholarly achievement commensurate with an appointment as a full professor with tenure in one of the departments in COSM. The candidate must also possess a strong sense of professional ethics, a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and demonstrated success in student success as well as being an innovative administrator. Additionally, the successful candidate should have the following:
• An earned doctorate in a related field from an accredited institution.
• A record of distinguished research, teaching, and scholarly activities.
• Administrative and/or leadership experience in a university setting.
• Experience working with faculty to develop a vision and plans for the future in an environment of shared governance.
• The ability to function well as part of the campus leadership team.
• The ability to think strategically and bring together diverse groups of interests to coalesce in a unified vision.
• The ability to listen carefully and communicate effectively and with integrity to inspire confidence and enhance relationships with the staff, community, and various campus constituent groups.
• A record of success in recruiting, retaining, and mentoring talented and diverse faculty and staff.
• The ability to inspire faculty to excel in teaching, research, and creative activities and to reward excellence in these areas.
• Experience developing and implementing student success initiatives.
• Experience with accreditation and re-accreditation of programs.
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• Experience working in a multi-campus environment and addressing diverse stakeholder needs across the organization.
• A record of success in leading change transparently and inclusively.
• Solid experience in building and cultivating industrial partnerships.
• A track record of success in fundraising and securing private support from donors.
• Experience growing academic programs.
Application Process (Search # 67932)
Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. A complete application consists of a cover letter addressing the qualifications and a current curriculum vitae. Other documentation may be requested. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Emy Cruz, Partner
Refer to code "GSU-COSM" in subject line
SP&A Executive Search
6512 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA 90601
Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact Denise Gebara, Director of Talent Acquisition and Employment Services, at email@example.com.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency