Inaugural Dean of the College for Community Health
ABOUT MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY
Montclair State University is a nationally recognized Research Doctoral University that empowers students, faculty, and researchers to exceed expectations and drive innovation. Montclair ranks among the top 20 universities nationally for social mobility and is noted for its exceptional student outcomes that far exceed experts’ predictions. Montclair is a designated R2 Doctoral Research Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) – one of only two in New Jersey and the largest in the state. Situated just 12 miles from New York City on a beautiful 252-acre suburban campus, the University welcomes a diverse population of students representing 42 U.S. states and territories and 113 countries. As an HSI institution, Montclair State University is majority-minority serving. More than 33% of undergraduate students are the first in their family to pursue higher education and nearly 44% are Pell eligible. Montclair also ranks in the top 13% of 4,500 postsecondary institutions in the U.S. for return on investment.
Montclair State University invites applications for the position of Inaugural Dean of the College for Community Health to start July 1, 2023. This a unique and exciting opportunity for a visionary and collaborative leader to play a central role in shaping the success of the new College for Community Health. The Dean will collaborate with faculty and staff to establish the new College’s identity and strategic direction. The Dean will work in and with socially, culturally, intellectually, and economically diverse communities; advocates for members of the College; has a commitment to high quality education for social justice, democratic practice, critical thinking, and innovative practice; and has engaged in national and global leadership that addresses issues of diversity, justice, and equity within and outside of the university system.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean serves as the lead academic and administrative officer for the College who supervises academic programs that align with the University's strategic plan. The Dean will also coordinate the activities of assistant/associate deans, department chairs, directors, and administrative staff. The ideal candidate will be a creative and dynamic individual who can work across a variety of disciplines, to advance the mission and vision of the College, to assure that it will forge effective partnerships with communities, health, and other systems, and to provide leadership that maintains a nationally and internationally recognized research and scholarship profile.
- Launches and shapes the college mission, vision, and identity.
- Advances teaching excellence in all modalities.
- Promotes diversity, equity and inclusion efforts including faculty hiring, student success, and leadership development.
- Leads effective fiscal management and innovative fundraising for the College, including representing the college to external constituencies including alumni, corporate and community partners.
- Represents the College to regional business and industry and community leaders, expands existing partnerships and creates new advisory relationships.
- Identifies new initiatives for program development and interdisciplinary opportunities across campus, working with other colleges and schools, and advocates for programs that align with the University’s mission and strategic plan.
- Directs national and/or state accreditation and certification, assessment, and ongoing academic program development and serves as the professional liaison with government and professional agencies and associations.
- Leads the recruitment, enrollment, and retention efforts of high-caliber students locally, nationally, as well as internationally.
- Leads recruiting, hiring, and retention efforts for highly qualified diverse faculty and staff; complies with collective bargaining contracts.
- Supports faculty research, scholarship, and grant writing, including student in those endeavors.
- Drives innovative community engagement and public service efforts.
- Earned doctorate from an accredited university.
- Record of distinguished academic achievement (including tenure) appropriate for appointment at the rank of full professor in a department of the College.
- An outstanding reputation and recognized leadership in higher education.
- A record of successful administrative leadership, including budget and personnel experience; or other related administrative experience
- A commitment to excellence and innovation in teaching/learning, scholarship and research, and community engagement.
- A track record of building and strengthening relationships with external agencies, local businesses, and governmental agencies for multi-sectoral partnerships
- A demonstrated record in the acquisition of external resources from government agencies, foundations, the corporate sector and/or private donors.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and accessibility to students in support of their academic success and well-being; maintain and extend faculty diversity.
- Financial acumen and budgetary expertise, including strategic resource allocation, grant management, and public funding.
- Experience with administrative operations such as admissions and program advisement, enrollment, marketing, financial aid, accreditation, student affairs, planning and budgeting, faculty and curriculum assessment, information technology.
- Success in recruiting, retaining, and mentoring faculty and staff, including promoting faculty research and scholarship, and advocating for associated resources and support.
- A record of successful new program development and other innovations (e.g., operational, professional enhancement).
- Experience working in a collaborative bargaining environment.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS, PLEASE VISIT: https://montclair.edu/dean-cch-prospectus/
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
Applicants should include a curriculum vitae and cover letter describing how their background, skills and education match the needs of the University. When applying, please take a moment to carefully read and follow the steps in the application instructions.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled, with priority consideration to applications received by March 1, 2023.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.