Northern Virginia Community College
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Fairfax County - 059
This police officer position is responsible for providing security for college and personal property at the College through crime prevention activities, patrol, thorough investigation of all reported and suspected criminal activity, and through the enforcement of State laws. This is accomplished by patrol efforts, by possible shift rotation, by interacting with the public in a fair and impartial manner regardless of the situation and by enforcing the laws of the Commonwealth and regulations of Northern Virginia Community College and VCCS. This is an entry to mid-level position.
The NOVA Police Department is established as a College-wide entity with the responsibility to maintain safety and security of all employees, students and visitors, and property owned or controlled by the College. As such, all Police Department employees are subject to short-term and long-term reassignments that may include different locations, rotating schedules and duties dependent on the needs of the Department and/or staff professional development.
Duties and Tasks:
- This position is responsible for providing security of State and personal property as well as personal safety at the College through crime prevention activities, patrol, and investigations of all reported and suspected criminal activity, and through the enforcement of State traffic laws and College parking regulations, and Nova Card operations. This is accomplished by patrol efforts, by possible shift rotation, by interacting with the public in a fair and impartial manner regardless of the situation and by enforcing of the laws and regulations through use of the same police powers as found in all other police officers in cities, towns, and counties in the Commonwealth.
- To provide a safe environment for the Faculty, Staff, Students, and visitors to the College, by the enforcement of the Laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, College rules and regulations, and responding to the service needs of the College
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the VA Commonwealth laws, local ordinances, and College policies.
- Must meet physical and mental job demands.
- Ability to complete DCJS certification.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to speak and understand English.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to testify in court proceedings.
- Qualify to operate a state vehicle.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must qualify for Police Officer appointment under DCJS guidelines.
- Successfully pass a background investigation.
- Licensed driver with demonstrated safe driving record.
- College degree.
Operation of a State Vehicle
Yes, between NOVA Campuses.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx , or call DARS at 800- 552-5019.
Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) is the largest public institution of higher education in the Commonwealth of Virginia and one of the largest community colleges in the nation. NOVA enrolls nearly 75,000 students on its six campuses in Alexandria, Annandale, Sterling, Manassas, Springfield, and Woodbridge, as well as through NOVA Online and high school dual enrollment programs. The College offers more than 100 affordable associate degree and certificate programs to help our students reach their academic and professional goals in some of the most in-demand careers.
At NOVA, we are deeply committed to fostering an inclusive community for all students, faculty, and staff, and our diverse workforce is representative of this commitment. To this end, we encourage all applicants seeking to add value through their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and interests to consider employment opportunities with NOVA. To learn more about NOVA’s commitment to inclusive excellence, please visit our website.
NOVA offers eligible employees a benefits package that includes a comprehensive health and dental insurance program, generous paid leave, deferred compensation plans, paid parental leave, state employee discounts, and a solid and secure retirement program.
We strive to ensure our employees have the tools and development opportunities to support and promote NOVA’s mission. For more information about NOVA and its programs and services, please visit our website at www.nvcc.edu.
The security of our students, faculty, and staff is very important at NOVA. Please take a moment to review NOVA’s Annual Security Reports.
Background Check Statement Disclaimer
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Quick link for Posting