Librarian, Research & Instruction
Stevenson University Owings Mills, MD Full-time Education
Posted on January 10, 2023
Librarian, Research & Instruction
The Librarian, Research and Instruction provides reference and instruction services on a broad range of subject areas to Stevenson University students, faculty and staff either in-person or virtually and serves as a liaison to at least one academic department. Responsibilities also include managing the library's social media presence. This position has faculty status and voting rights in the faculty governance structure.
Master’s of Library Science (MLS) or Master’s of Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA accredited program plus one year of experience, preferably in a public services department of an academic library or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of research and reference materials in multiple disciplines.
- Knowledge of information literacy principles and an ability to create learning experiences that advance student understanding of these principles.
- Proficient with using a variety of technologies and platforms to enhance the library’s research and instruction services and social media presence.
- Ability to use discovery tools, library databases and the web to provide high-quality reference services.
- Exceptional problem-solving, researching, and instructional skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and with others in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and cultural competency skills and demonstrated ability to communicate professionally with diverse constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equity, modeling inclusive behavior, and promoting a culture of belonging.
- Sound professional judgment, flexibility, willingness to learn and implement new technologies and ways of doing things, and the highest standards of professional ethics.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Word
- Self-motivated, flexible, and possessing a strong work ethic.
- Commitment to integrity, excellence, learning, and community.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to travel between campuses.
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing, keyboarding, and repetitive motions. Close visual acuity. Position requires sitting and standing for extended periods of time and the ability to speak clearly and effectively for an extended period of time. Requires physical abilities consistent with a busy office environment on a university campus. Daily work with computers, monitors, copy machines and other office equipment.
- Provide general and virtual information, research, and reference services. Respond to requests for information and research assistance from Stevenson University students, faculty and staff through a variety of communication modalities (e.g. in person, phone, e-mail, chat, text).
- Plan, teach, and assess information literacy instruction in collaboration with faculty.
- Serve as liaison to one or more academic departments.
- Locate and create digital content to support academic instruction.
- Plan, develop, and provide online and in-person instruction and reference services.
- Develop course-related online tutorials and guides.
- Answer library user questions and provide basic technical support in the Library such as logging into wireless, printing problems, photocopy help, etc.
- Perform circulation services, as needed, including: assisting library users in person & via telephone, and keeping statistics.
- Explain library policies and procedures.
- Work on reference desk and cover chat and AskUs services on a rotating basis.
- Manage a social media program that promotes the library.
- Assist Library Director with strategic planning for the future growth and development of library services at all Stevenson University campuses.
- Contribute to professional activities within the academic library community.
Reports To: Director, Library Services
Work Location: Owings Mills
Position Category: Staff
Open Until Filled: No
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stevenson.peopleadmin.com
EOE/AA Employer of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency