Military Veteran Opportunity Program Advisor
SUNY Empire State University Saratoga Springs, NY Full-time Administration / Clerical
Posted on May 8, 2023
About Empire State University:
Founded in 1971 as the innovative campus of the State University of New York (SUNY), Empire State University empowers learners from diverse backgrounds to achieve their educational goals. We have decades of experience providing educational access through online teaching and learning, individualized instruction, mentoring, and prior learning assessment. We build on our students' experiences to promote their growth and drive upward mobility and economic development in New York state and beyond. SUNY Empire's 95,000 alumni are teachers, nurses, entrepreneurs, and leaders in their communities and their fields. Visit www.sunyempire.edu and follow us on social media @SUNYEmpire.
SUNY Empire is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that having diverse faculty and staff is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
Empire State University's Office of Opportunity Programs seeks two full-time Military Veteran Opportunity Program (MVOP) Advisors (State Title: Academic Advisor) with the expectation to provide proactive support and advisement for military-affiliated undergraduate students that are a part of the program.
The Military Veteran Opportunity Advisor will provide academic advisement, as well as to assist in managing a range of student success items, such as the Summer or Winter Institute (extended Opportunity Program orientation), regular programming, outreach that encourages close connections between students and the university, and work in collaboration with the Office of Veteran and Military Education to support VA and military funding, and MVOP programming. The selected incumbent must be knowledgeable about academic advisement, student services, and programming at the university level, as well as familiarity with working with adult students with specific emphasis on military student population, those from diverse backgrounds, underrepresented populations, and that are non-traditional learners, in both face-to-face and online learning environments. This position requires dedication to developing innovative ways to reach and engage students, effect student persistence, and provide holistic student development and support.
- Serve as Military Veteran OP students' primary mentor (academic advisor) throughout the entire matriculated lifecycle. Provide coaching and student support services by meeting with students regularly and connecting with instructors routinely to ensure the program is informed of all student's academic progress.
- Review and evaluate MVOP students' academic status and make appropriate recommendations to the Assistant Director and Director.
- Deliver/instruct degree planning to MVOP students. Liaise with Academic Review to amend degree plans, as needed.
- Develop career and graduate school opportunity resources that are attuned to the needs of the MVOP student.
- Act as a point person throughout the student lifecycle for referral to/collaboration with campus resources, offices, and services.
- Identify and address academic concerns, assisting students who might need support in finding policies, processes, and services.
- Work in tandem with the Office of Veteran and Military Education to support MVOP programming, meet compliance regarding military related funding, and transfer of military training credits.
- Collaborate with the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services.
- Investigate, resolve, or refer informal student complaints, grievances, and appeals.
- Check student academic progress weekly and follow up with students individually. For students taking online courses, check course log activity to ensure appropriate level of course engagement is occurring. For students taking independent studies or study groups, check in with instructors to discuss student progress within their course.
- Assist MVOP students in the completion of financial forms required by the institution, or other required external agencies.
- Input and update information into Banner and other university systems.
- Further their professional development through participation in related program activities.
- Represent MVOP at necessary meetings and governance.
- Assist in other program functions at the discretion of the Director.
- Play an active role in planning, delivering, and facilitating the MVOP Extended Student Orientation during the summer.
- Assist students with the transition to the JumpStart Program during MVOP enrollment terms.
- Assist in the delivery of OP/MVOP programming throughout the academic year.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in the higher educational setting.
- A minimum of two (2) years in academic advisement and/or counseling experience.
- An understanding of Military lifestyle or previous experience working the military-affiliated students is required.
- A degree or course work in higher education, counseling, or related field.
- Experience working with opportunity and/or access programs, diverse populations, or disadvantaged students.
- This position will be located at one of the SUNY Empire's NY state regional locations.
- Occasional travel and work on evenings and weekends required.
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: SL3 / $60,000
Empire State University is an EOE employer.
We are pleased to offer our employees an excellent benefit package which includes; NYS health insurance, free dental and vision, competitive retirement options, and generous vacation, sick and holiday accruals; and a strong emphasis on work-life balance. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT www.sunyempire.edu/safety-security.
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State University Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.