A.T. Still University (ATSU) is seeking an Assistant Director of Facilities on the Kirksville, Missouri, campus. The position reports to the Director of Facilities. The Assistant Director of Facilities will assist in planning, directing, managing, and overseeing the activities and operations of the Kirksville, Missouri, campus. Duties include land use planning, construction maintenance, facilities maintenance, and operation; assisting with the supervision, monitoring, reviewing, and auditing of the construction of new buildings and facilities and the reconstruction of existing facilities and buildings; overseeing, monitoring, and evaluating maintenance, custodial, and energy management activities for the ATSU Kirksville campus; and other related functions as directed. At times this position will be hands-on with day to day operations. The position is also responsible for ensuring compliance with federal, state, local, and university regulations, procedures, and policies related to the physical condition and operation of the ATSU Kirksville campus.Major Job Duties
- Assist in coordinating contracted work with architects, engineers, inspectors, local government officials, and others pertaining to construction of facilities.
- Assist with representing ATSU in working with the state, county, and the city land use and planning agencies.
- Assist in developing, submitting, and accounting for all documents required by controller’s office.
- Assist with planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing the construction, maintenance, repair, and remodeling of ATSU facilities.
- Supervise and coordinate the operations and activities related to ATSU’s building and grounds operations; plan and administer ATSU policies and procedures related to the care and maintenance of the college buildings, grounds and infrastructure.
- Assist with monitoring contractors providing construction and maintenance related services to ensure adherence to project specifications, timelines, and appropriate standards of performance.
- Assist with determining operational policies, guidelines, priorities, and the scheduling and control of various ongoing and major construction and reconstruction projects.
- Assist with planning, organizing, and directing facility and equipment preventative maintenance programs, including implementation and maintenance of a systemized data management, storage and retrieval system.
- Participate in maintaining a cost effective and cost beneficial operational mode, and to ensure that appropriate quality control and performance standards are maintained.
- Assist with managing the capital and maintenance budgets for ATSU as they relate to construction and maintenance.
- Coordinate work activities between department units, contractors, and other campus groups through oral and written communications; inspect work performed and resolve deficiencies as needed. Includes ATSU custodial, maintenance, grounds and skilled craft maintenance on the ATSU Kirksville campus.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of narrative and statistical reports, specifications, records and files related to assigned activities.
- Assist in the assignment, coordination, and review of the activities of architects, engineers, and consultants for construction and maintenance projects.
- Communicate with other administrators, personnel, and contractors to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issue and conflicts and exchange information. Recommend improved methods and changes as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and preparation of the annual maintenance and capital construction budgets; analyze and review budgetary and financial data; control and authorize expenditures in accordance with established policy.
- Operate a computer and other office equipment as assigned; operate various equipment and tools used in assigned areas. Supervise, train, and evaluate personnel; supervise staff training; prepare evaluation reports; review and discuss staff requirements and performance with employees.
- Attend and conduct a variety of meetings as assigned; conduct presentations to groups; represent ATSU with outside organizations and agencies, including regulatory, local, state, and federal governments.
- Assure a safe environment for students, faculty, and staff by inspecting and working with the department of safety and security. Perform periodic inspections of building and grounds to check on the need for maintenance and repair, building safety, ADA compliance and conformity with fire regulations; determine need for repairs and establish work priorities.
- Assist with developing and administering preventive maintenance program and related records, including preparing detailed procedures and work instructions, scheduling, monitoring equipment operations, and entering data into appropriate system.
- Assist in assembling and collecting facilities planning and operations documents for preservation, including technical manuals, maintenance schedules, equipment replacement program, vendor files, maintenance work orders, purchase orders, and others.
- Maintain positive working relationships with the vendors/contractors, students, the community and various departments within ATSU.
- Act as ATSU liaison with architects, engineers, contractors, and vendors; assure compliance with established building codes, safety laws and regulations, timelines, and standards of quality. Secure estimates for work to be performed by outside sources; check to be sure work is properly completed. Review completed contract work for acceptability.
- Assist the Director with facility oversight of the St. Louis Clinic. This may require occasional trips to St. Louis, MO.
- Assist with the preparation and administering of budgets for assigned functions; prepare recommendations and justification regarding budget request; authorize expenditures according to ATSU policies and applicable regulations.
- Assist with developing of ATSU’s scheduled maintenance programs; confer with college facilities managers to develop project plans and priorities; formulate preventive maintenance plans to assure proper care of ATSU grounds and facilities.
- Serve on campus and ATSU committees, task forces, and other work groups as required; maintain positive public relations with the larger community.
- Assist with developing and implement techniques to improve departmental policies and procedures, increase efficiencies, optimize opportunities and maintain state-of-the-art practices; maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field.
- Assume the duties of the Director of Facilities, in the absence of the Director and as assigned. Receive and respond to emergency calls affecting facilities operations; assign personnel and equipment necessary.
- Assist with maintaining space inventory and confer with the department directors and deans regarding building and room dedication.
- Bachelors degree is engineering, construction management, architecture, and/or relevant management-type program
- Basic knowledge of electrical and environmental management processes, utility analysis, and sustainability initiatives.
- Knowledge of skilled trades with ability to write technical and administrative proposals.
- Understanding of applicable government regulations.
- Be available to respond to emergency situations 24 hours/7 days a week.
- A driver’s license valid in the state of Missouri.
- A thorough understanding of facility operations and management of personnel.
- Be able to work well within a clinical and academic setting.
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Follow through
- Pride in workmanship
- Must work well with minimal supervision
Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done wellEducation
Bachelors or better in Engineering or related field.SkillsTeam Player
Building trades' supervisory experience in an institutional setting including direct management of employees and projects and demonstrated experience developing and managing projects, project budgets and contracts are required. Significant experience working with contractors and project management. Posted: 09/17/2021