Classification: Student Services Professional II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,304/month - $4,326/month
Salary Range: $$4,303/month - $6,120/month
FLSA Status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up. About the Position
*Hiring 3 positions.*
Reporting to the Director of Academic Advising and Retention Services (AARS), the Academic Advisor provides a wide range of academic advising and retention services for undergraduate students attempting to complete Title 5, California State University (CSU), and San Jose State University (SJSU) requirements relating to baccalaureate degree requirements. Working independently, the Academic Advisor develops, coordinates, implements, and assesses academic support and other retention services and programs in accordance with University policies to insure student success through graduation. The Academic Advisor serves as liaison to an academic College or student group (i.e., Undeclared) and appropriate committees and work groups as assigned. Required Qualifications
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field.
- Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience. Preferred Qualifications
- Master's degree
- 2 years academic advising experience in postsecondary education.
- Demonstrated familiarity with higher education academic policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating workshops
- Strong written communication skills. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive information and communications with students, parents, employees and external agencies.
- Ability to interpret and convey CSU, SJSU, UGS, Student Academic Success Services and Academic Advising and Retention Services policies and procedures to ensure student success.
- Thorough knowledge of or the ability to quickly acquire knowledge of Title V of the California State Education Code, EOP Executive Orders, California State University Executive Orders, San Jose State University and Equal Opportunity Program admissions policies and procedures.
- Ability to learn non-resident tuition policies including AB540; ability to acquire and apply knowledge of disability resources and admissions requirements.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate applications and transcripts and acquire knowledge of Transfer Admissions Agreements. General knowledge of counseling techniques. Application Procedures
Complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
-Letter of Interest
-List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 30, 2019 through September 16, 2019. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Equal Employment Statement
San Jose State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Contact Information
408-924-2166 Transformation 2030
Engage and Educate: Be a university of first choice where we bring together exceptional people - students, faculty and staff members, and our community - to do extraordinary things with their lives as learners, creators and champions.
Excel and Lead: Be a leading academic institution where faculty and staff members and alumni are regional, national and global leaders in their fields.
Grow and Thrive: Be an inclusive, welcoming and well-balanced community and institution that ensures long-term financial sustainability and effectiveness and also attracts, retains and sustains faculty and staff members and students.
Connect and Contribute: Be an engaged and dynamic urban university with strong connections locally and globally.
Rebuild and Renew: Be a flourishing, modern campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure, campus spaces and technology to support learning, research and community.To apply please click here!