Classification: Administrator I
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience.
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up. About the Position
The Assistant Director for Custodial Operations coordinates and supervises the daily activities of the custodial crews including direct supervision of 2 to 3 Lead Custodians and the indirect supervision of 18 to 20 Custodians. The incumbent is responsible for a variety of administrative functions and special programs related to the Facilities Operations area. This position administers an annual budget of approximately $400,000.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates work assignments and evaluation of all direct reports including projects during the academic year break periods (winter and summer breaks).
- Responsible for monitoring staff daily attendance using established administrative processes and submitting monthly staff attendance reports.
- Conducts inspections of custodial areas on a daily basis and in conjunction with Lead Custodians, provides written feedback to Custodians on a monthly basis.
- Provides supervision for contracted custodial staff when utilized.
- Manages the administration and delivery of custodial services to an on campus residential community of approximately 4000 residents. Residential facilities include three traditional residence hall, one suite and two apartment style building totaling approximately 1,056,000 square feet.
- Utilizes computerized work order system. Works with appropriate personnel to maintain records, reports and status of all custodial work order requests.
- Prepares correspondence, reports, and completes administrative assignments on behalf of the Associate Director for Facilities Operations as needed.
- Coordinates custodial component of summer conferences for over 200 groups per summer with varying needs in collaboration with the Conference Coordinator.
- Coordinates staff training sessions for custodial staff related to work functions, OSHA standards, safety and interpersonal communication, sexual harassment, and other topics as needed
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations. Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3 years of custodial lead or supervisory experience
- Experience supervising professional staff
- Experience working in a residential or educational environment Preferred Qualifications
- 3 years of management experience in Custodial Operations
- Experience working in a college or university setting
- Experience coordinating staff training
- Experience working in a collective bargaining environment
- Experience using computer application systems Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, rations, and proportions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Knowledge of budget experience and administrative techniques related to the development and implementation of appropriate fiscal controls, personnel and appropriate methods of work planning, scheduling and coordination.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Ability to carry out a variety of professionally complex assignments without detailed instructions.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to lead individuals and projects in a team effort to accomplish institutional and divisional goals and objectives.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and initiate critical actions necessary to implement administrative or group decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from various groups including managers and staff. Application Procedures
Complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
-Letter of Interest
-List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 5, 2019 through September 22, 2019. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Equal Employment Statement
San Jose State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Contact Information
#LI-SJSU1 Transformation 2030
Engage and Educate: Be a university of first choice where we bring together exceptional people - students, faculty and staff members, and our community - to do extraordinary things with their lives as learners, creators and champions.
Excel and Lead: Be a leading academic institution where faculty and staff members and alumni are regional, national and global leaders in their fields.
Grow and Thrive: Be an inclusive, welcoming and well-balanced community and institution that ensures long-term financial sustainability and effectiveness and also attracts, retains and sustains faculty and staff members and students.
Connect and Contribute: Be an engaged and dynamic urban university with strong connections locally and globally.
Rebuild and Renew: Be a flourishing, modern campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure, campus spaces and technology to support learning, research and community.To apply please click here!