The Associate Director, University Advising Services (UAS) provides leadership and management for professional academic advisors embedded within specific academic colleges. The Associate Director is a managerial role which reports to the Director of University Advising Services and is a member of the leadership team for Rowan’s University Advising Services, contributing to the vision and strategic direction for the organization.
- Oversee day to day functioning of the University Advising Services professional advisors embedded within specific academic units.
- Provide excellent supervision of academic advisors including ability to provide direct feedback.
- Provide initial training and ongoing professional development for academic advisors in the relevant academic units
- Coordinate advising services for the students in the relevant academic units, including all aspects of the advising process
- Use data to monitor, direct and improve advising service and outcomes including advisor caseloads, appointment wait times and other indicators to ensure optimal allocation of advisors and excellent service to students
- Ensure that advising practices support students in the “new majority” who may be balancing work and family responsibilities, returning adults, from underserved populations and financially independent
- Plan and implement advising practices which help to address gaps in equitable outcomes for students based on demographic factors such as race, ethnicity, Pell eligibility, and first-generation status.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of events that involve advising, such as new student orientation
- Participate in University Advising Services leadership meetings to plan strategy related to advising policies, procedures, professional development, and assessment
- Responsible for assessment of advising services for the relevant academic units
- Conduct regular advisor meetings to share division updates, provide professional development and share advising best practices
- Be a resource for advisors and faculty/administrators regarding complex or sensitive issues
- Provide direct advising services to students, in the form of both individual and group sessions
- Maintain UAS Advising Agreements with each academic unit
- Work collaboratively with the relevant Dean’s offices, Department Chairs/Heads, Program Coordinators, faculty, and other offices to ensure effective communication with students, advisors, and other constituents
- Stay abreast of institutional information including admissions requirements, academic programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in college- and University-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and federal mandates
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Five years of professional experience in higher education working with students in an advising, student support or counseling environment including three years of supervisory or team leadership experience
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Counseling in Educational Settings, Student Personnel Services, or other relevant field
- Demonstrated success in supervising and directing the work of professional staff advisors
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic planning initiatives and conduct evaluations and assessment of advising services programs
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with multiple constituencies (Chairs, Deans, students, parents, etc.) in a fast-paced and evolving environment
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to and lead change
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Demonstrated experience using advising-related technology and student related data to support student success and advising activities
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and make sound judgments regarding referral of issues to Director of University Advising Services and other appropriate administrators
- Demonstrated knowledge of NACADA Advising Core Competencies
- Demonstrated understanding of the advising needs of a diverse student population including first generation, returning adults and underserved populations
- Experience providing a range of academic advising and related services
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills
- Exceptional customer service skills and student-centeredness
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
Please apply by going directly to the website: https://jobs.rowan.edu/cw/en-us/job/494099/associate-director-university-advising-services