Widener University is currently seeking a Campus Safety Officer to join our 2nd shift team. Campus Safety Officers are responsible for ensuring the safety and general well being of all University community members, safe-guarding university property and enforcing university policies and rules. Emphasis will be on fostering good community relations and providing professional service. Officers must conduct themselves in a professional manner and display courtesy to all individuals with whom they have contact.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The division of Campus Safety holds a deep commitment to an i nclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution, and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment. Faculty and staff are active participants in our work to enhance diversity, equity, & inclusion, including representation on the Faculty Council Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee and the Diversity Leadership and Inclusion Council. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(including, but not limited to) : Essential duties:
- Officers are assigned to a specific shift. Primary type of patrol is foot patrol (which requires officers to walk for their shift) across the University, throughout buildings, University properties and any designated area. These shifts average 8-10 hours and are outdoors. Officers will have a specific area of assignment.
- Other types of patrols in a patrol area are vehicle patrol, parking lot, residence halls, main office or other assignments as directed by supervisors. Every officer will perform every type of patrol based on assignment by supervisor.
- Officers will respond to all calls for service in a professional and timely manner, perform an initial investigation, if necessary, and work to resolve the situation.
- Officer will patrols university building and grounds; examines entrances, windows and internal doors to determine that they are secure.
- Officers will ensure that facilities are opened for business and closed for business at designated times.
- Officers will build positive relationships with University community members and groups.
- Respond to reports of irregularities such as fire hazards, facilities/mechanical malfunctions, physical altercations, accidents and criminal activities. Notifies dispatcher if police, fire or ambulance units are required.
- Assists supervisors in campus safety investigations.
- Prepares reports accurately and objectively detailing incidents on campus.
- Escorts university community members to/from buildings and parking lots.
- Provides emergency transportation for university community.
- Issues verbal warning, parking tickets, and will immobilize vehicle upon supervisor approval.
- Interact with local and state police officials.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
- Flexibility to work additional shifts as needed or required, including but not limited to the Safety office on campus.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
(education/training and experience required) : Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a customer service or security related field.
- Valid driver's license
- Must have the ability to interact professionally with the public.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check to include the PA Criminal PA Child Abuse and FBI.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Previous experience working in higher education.
- Previous law enforcement, military, campus or public safety experience.
Qualified candidates must submit resume for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.
03 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time Applications close:To apply please click here!