Building & Maintenance Technician I is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all architectural elements and various building systems for the college facilities on the Catonsville Campus. Schedule is Tuesday through Saturday.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five (5) years minimum of experience in the construction or maintenance trades required. Professional certifications or licenses preferred.
- Flexibility and ability to change shift when requested.
- Valid driver's license with a clean driving record of less than five (5) points on driving record.
- Ability to participate in blood borne pathogens training within six (6) months of employment.
- Hepatitis B vaccination or a signed waiver.
- Candidates may be required to successfully pass a background investigation, to include driving, fingerprint and criminal history evaluation.
- Candidates may be required to successfully complete a pre-hire, post-offer physical examination, including drug screening.
This is an Essential Position and the employee must be available for building emergencies, and to perform regular duties or other assigned duties at times when the campus is closed to students and non-essential staff. Subject to 24-hours standby or call-in for building emergencies. May be required to work overtime or special hours as needed or required.New employees are entitled to a $500 signing bonus after 9 months in a full-time benefit-qualified position.
This position may have an emphasis in one of primary areas within the Maintenance functionality of Facilities Management depending on skills and licenses/certifications; though, is that the expectation that position is interchangeable based upon need and direction of supervisor. Electrical/Mechanical
- Inspects, tests, maintains, repairs, and replaces all indoor lighting fixtures, outdoor lights affixed to buildings, lighting controls, lighting timers, emergency lights, dimmers, ballasts, and hard-wired remote control systems.
- Inspects, tests, maintains, repairs, and replaces wiring circuits, cable, wire, fuses, and switches.
- Cleans bearings, fan housing, fan squirrel cages and other impellers, air conditioner units, fan and mechanical rooms, light fixture diffusers, reflectors, and lenses.
- Performs minor installation or modification work on electrical system, including planning the work; estimating and arranging the materials, supplies and equipment required, and coordinating work.
- Lubricates fans, motors, pumps, dampers, and operating hardware.
- Replaces belts on fans and repairs/replaces insulation.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces potable water systems made from metal or plastic, including piping and related supports, fixtures such as faucets and toilets, fittings, pumps, hot water tanks, valves, meters, controls (e.g. regulators) and related equipment.
- Responds to plumbing issues; as well as, repairs and replaces defective faucets and small pipes, clears clogged drains, and operate various sewer machines to clear sewer and water lines.
- Repairs and replaces structural woodwork and wood equipment such as, but not limited to counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, doors, hardwood floors, shelving, display cases, building framework and trim.
- Repairs and replaces building systems such as, but not limited to, directly applied and suspended ceilings, vinyl composition floor tiles and doors, including hardware, window hardware, partitions, and metal T-bar systems.
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces equipment found in offices, classrooms, laboratories, and common areas.
- Performs major and minor repairs to permanent and temporary buildings and structures; including, but not limited to, installation/repair of drywall and painting/wallpapering.
- Installs and maintains fire extinguishers, including associated cabinets, recharging and record keeping.
- Prepares detailed plans for work, when required, including listing of materials needed.
- Makes suggestions, when appropriate, for building and structure modifications to improve operational efficiency and reduce maintenance costs.
- Assists supervisor in monitoring of supplies inventory, maintenance of shop equipment and general work area housekeeping.
- Participates in snow removal or duties as assigned in response to college emergencies, as necessary and/or directed.
- Effectively performs in a service environment and follows all county, state, college, and departmental policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned.