Coppin State University invites qualified candidates to apply for a tenure track Assistant Professor of Computer Science. Candidates must be able to teach both lower and upper-level undergraduate courses in computer science and information sciences, provide academic advising of students, develop, and design ABET-based curriculum plans to foster student learning, stimulate class discussions, and ensure student engagement. Candidates will be expected to cooperatively and individually initiate research in the field of interest and participate in student co-curricular discipline-related activities which may include research, teaching, and designing new cutting-edge courses, community-based projects, or other extracurricular activities Classes are taught day, evening, and weekend. The successful candidate will be expected to perform the usual curricular and professional duties associated with an academic appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor. Teaches computer science students on-ground, online, and can preferably use Mathematica, or MATLAB, Python, Java, and/or R. For the purposes of reappointment, tenure, and promotion, emphasis will be placed on teaching effectiveness, scholarly, and creative achievements, and service to the University and community including activities in support of student retention. This is a 10-month position, reporting to the Department Chair.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach non-majors, an advanced diverse set of computer science courses to students pursuing bachelor's degrees in computer Science, information technology, & computer science related subjects. Prepare & use programming languages to design AI & ML lab simulations for computer science students.
- Pursue scholarly activities such as publishing research, participate in professional conferences by maintaining memberships. Maintain a research agenda for individual research & support departmental grants efforts.
- Advise computer science majors, promote student retention plans, & foster Department, College, & University strategic plans. Supervise students participating in Computer Science & mathematics clubs
- Actively participate in departmental & University activities that relate to recruitment and retention of students & serve on department & University committees. Support department's information dissemination efforts through web presence & University open house.
- Fostering rigorous, inclusive, & high-impact learning environments for a diverse student body.
- PhD degree in Computer Science or closely related field from an accredited institution.
- An established record of teaching experience.
- Research experience that exhibits a scholarly background.
Preferred QualificationsSKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Commitment to excellence in teaching a diverse student population. Teaching undergraduate computer science course experience is required. Ability to maintain an independent research agenda and use of computer-science AI and Machine Learning tools. Experiential knowledge of Python, Java, C++, and R is preferred. Working experience in maintaining AI students and faculty research lab is desirable. Instructs students to employ simulations in AI applications and classroom programming projects.
- Ability to teach in the synchronous (currently using Panopto) online environment.
- Ability to maintain confidential information of students and department grades and advising records.
- Ability to contribute to the Department's mathematics and computer science teaching, research, grants, and service initiatives.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, and the ability to work with faculty colleagues, underrepresented students' groups, and industry partners on various projects and pedagogical activities
Position Detail Information
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant