Do you enjoy looking at data and asking the big questions? Does it excite you create actionable insights and strategies based upon data? Do you have a passion to showcase the importance of using data?
If you answered YES
to those questions, then Coppin State University's Information Technology Division may have the perfect position for you!
We are seeking an individual to fill the position of ANALYTICS STRATEGIST
. Coppin has a wealth of analytic tools. We need a passionate person to synthesize meaningful and actionable information from the diverse analytic sources and develop innovative recommendations and strategies that align with the mission and core values of the university. This person will also be a creative storyteller and use results of analysis to persuade stakeholders to a particular course of action. We want a person that will be a fierce advocate for using analytics across the campus. Lastly, this person will help establish policies and procedures with respect to campus analytics. Essential Responsibilities:
This is not a highly technical position; this position doesn't require building dashboards, writing SQL queries, upgrading systems, managing data warehouses, or things of the like (although those skills are a plus!). Instead, the Analytics Strategist will: Gain understanding of the university's objectives and challenges. Using Coppin's analytic dashboards, tools, and reports (i.e., enrollment and retention analytics; learning analytics; website analytics; etc.), identify patterns, make discernments, recommendations, and innovative solutions that align with the identified objectives and challenges. In this instance, you will:
Build Coppin's capacity to develop insights and drive decisions with analytics by:
- Simultaneously participate in multiple analytics projects that are often at varying stages of maturity;
- Perform ad hoc analytics for time sensitive requests; and
- Report key findings to identified stakeholders.
Identify and communicate the benefits and value of data to campus stakeholders by:
- Facilitating regular training to diverse campus stakeholders on various campus analytic tools;
- Providing resources to strengthen stakeholders' abilities to discern data patterns;
- Identifying new kinds, types, and sources of data to drive innovation throughout the university; and
- Advocating for new ways to use analytics.
Assist in managing the ethical implications of data and analytics through data stewardship measures, including, but not limited to:
- Being a champion for a data-driven, decision-making culture;
- Showcasing analytics tools to campus stakeholders;
- Sharing relevant insights to identified audiences; and
- Finding unique ways to explain complex data information to the campus community.
- Developing and maintaining controls on data quality;
- Organizing and leading an analytics governance council; and
- Defining processes for the effective, integrated introduction of new data.
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, business, computer science, data science, information science, or a closely related field. (Master's degree preferred)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in data related projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data structure.
- Applied use of different database, data transformation, BI tools, and data science tools.
- Understanding of statistical measures and statistical tools, and when to use them.
- Ability to find insights in data and creating analytics-based strategies and recommendations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to articulate technical and business concepts to diverse audiences.
- Experience with data storytelling and presenting data to a non-analytical audience in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365, especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in higher education preferred
Being a member of Coppin's Information Technology Division offers an innovative work environment, opportunity for a hybrid work setting (some days telework and some days on-campus), professional growth, and the chance to complete training in your field. Further, this position offers a host of benefits including: annual, holiday, personal and sick leave; health benefits; tuition remission and reimbursement; and more. If you feel this would be a good fit, apply today!
Conditions of Employment
Position Detail Information
Position Detail Information
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to start of work at Coppin State University. Medical and religious exemption requests are accepted and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.