Soka University of America is seeking a Counselor. This is a full-time, 10-month position. The Counselor will provide individual and group counseling to students, as well as crisis intervention, consultation, and outreach to students, faculty, and staff. The Counselor primarily serves as a mental health resource to individual students.
Candidates should demonstrate responsiveness toward and understanding of diverse student backgrounds, especially with regard to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, culture, ability/disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and have a willingness to facilitate the university’s mission to develop global citizens.
- Provide individual and group counseling with appropriate treatment plans to students.
- Provide crisis intervention and risk/safety assessment services in instances where students may require hospitalization or a higher level of care.
- Provide case management.
- Maintain ethical and comprehensive clinical records.
- Schedule appointments and attend regular meetings with the Director of Student Services
- Provide consultation and outreach services to faculty and professional staff.
- Provide outreach programming on a variety of developmental, preventative, and / or mental health topics
- Perform other similar duties as required.
Candidates should have:
- Master's Degree in a related field (Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy, Clinical Social Work)
- Current California license as a marriage and family therapist, professional clinical counselor, psychologist, or social worker.
- Minimum of two years of counseling experience in higher education or with college-aged adults.
- Experience working with college students from diverse social, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds including students of color, students from lower economic backgrounds, first generation college students, students with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ students. Experience working with international students a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge and sensitivity regarding cultural traditions, language barriers, identity, and intersectionality.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and an enthusiasm for working with students, faculty and other university personnel.
- High ethical and professional standards.
- Bilingual or multilingual proficiency a plus.
- Experience providing crisis stabilization services in a community mental health setting or university counseling center.
- Experience conducting intake interviews, including psycho-diagnostic assessment, case conceptualization, and treatment plan formulation, for students with a broad spectrum of psychological problems, ranging from adjustment issues to major psychiatric disorders.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Employment is contingent upon the completion of a successful background check.
Soka University requires all employees and students to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If hired, you are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of your employment at Soka University, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide your vaccination record on your first day of employment.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply send a letter of interest, resume, salary history and three professional references, to:
Soka University of America
1 University Drive
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer.