Position Information Posting Number
Dean, College of Pharmacy Primary Responsibility
The Dean is the chief academic officer responsible for the implementation of all academic and clinical programs, including strategic planning, quality assessment, student and faculty recruitment, resource development and allocation, alumni development, and representation to external entities. Reporting to the Vice Provost for Health Affairs, the Dean will lead the development and implementation of a bold and exciting vision that will advance the College's mission, including interprofessional education and diversity. Education
Candidates must have a PharmD and/or PhD and be eligible for faculty appointment at the rank of Full Professor. Experience
1 - 3 years experience Qualifications
Candidates must have a PharmD and/or PhD and be eligible for faculty appointment at the rank of Full Professor with 1 - 3 years experience. Job Related Skills
-Manage and execute the planning, administrative, budgetary and development (fund raising) functions within the academic college.
-Ability to attract, select, train and supervise qualified faculty and staff.
-Demonstrate a customer service orientation.
-Knowledge of principles, methods and current developments in the academic discipline.
-Knowledge of instructional strategies and techniques appropriate to teaching variety of students and platforms (undergraduate, graduate, adult learners, online, etc).
-Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
-Ability to effectively and appropriately integrate technology into the teaching and learning process.
-Ability to successfully interact with students, other educators and educational institution representatives, and the general public in a professional manner.
-Ability to work collaboratively across university departments.
-Ability to lead undergraduates in academic research is preferred. Desired Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Open Date Close Date Open Until Filled
Yes Additional Comments & Information
Lipscomb University is a private, Christian university associated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ and governed by religious tenets held by the Church of Christ. Lipscomb University, whose guiding tenets are faith, knowledge and service, serves more than 4,800 students at its campus in the Green Hills area of Nashville. Founded in 1891, the University offers 145 undergraduate studies as well as 40 masters degrees, seven Educational Specialist degrees and three doctoral degree programs. The University is recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as an R3 research organization.
The ideal candidate will have a successful record of scholarship, research, service leadership, development and administrative experience within a college or school of pharmacy. Exceptional communication skills, financial acumen, and ability to actively collaborate with the Office of Advancement on fundraising are essential. The ideal candidate will possess a leadership style exemplified by flexibility, inclusiveness, integrity and openness that involves faculty, staff, students and other stakeholders of the College. Candidates must be capable of leading the College to achieve higher levels of distinction and national recognition in education, patient-centered care and innovative research. Demonstrated excellence in teaching, experience with curricular revision and innovative ideas about instruction for students with increasingly diverse learning styles and backgrounds are also highly desirable qualities. About Lipscomb University
Lipscomb University is a liberal arts teaching and research institution committed to being intentionally, courageously and graciously Christian. Our mission is to integrate Christian faith and practice with academic excellence, not only in the classroom but also by involvement in numerous services to the church and the larger community. It is a place that sees the city as our campus and the world as our classroom. This is what grounds us, and it is also what has grown us.
With more than 4,600 students, Lipscomb University was recently named by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the fastest-growing private doctoral universities in the nation with a 10-year growth rate of 80.6 percent. Lipscomb is a dynamic university offering students a choice of more than 200 undergraduate programs of study, 24 master's degrees in 70 fields of study, four education specialist degrees and three doctoral degrees. In addition to Lipscomb's residential campus in the Green Hills area of Nashville, Tennessee, the university has locations in downtown Nashville and Franklin, Tennessee, as well as a robust online program.
Today, Lipscomb is nationally ranked for its innovation, programs and service. Each year, Lipscomb students contribute an average of 60,000 hours of service to nonprofits and organizations. Classified as a national university by U.S. News & World Report, Lipscomb University is classified as a doctoral university by the Carnegie Foundation, placing it among 7 percent of schools nationwide.
At the heart of Lipscomb University are more than 940 full-time faculty and staff who are committed to creating a lasting impact beyond the campus, serving the good of humanity to the glory of God. As you learn more about Lipscomb, we hope you find it to be a place that is joyfully and energetically committed to God and a place where you truly want to share and invest your talents and skills. Nondiscrimination Statement
Lipscomb University complies with all applicable federal and state nondiscrimination laws and does not engage in prohibited discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, color, national or ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its educational policies, programs and activities. Hiring Statement
Lipscomb University is a private, Christian university associated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ and governed by religious tenets held by the Church of Christ. Hiring Statement
University undergraduate faculty and Academy faculty should be members of the Church of Christ. Faculty
Typical Duties and Responsibilities Description of Tasks Performed
• Provide a mission and vision for the College.
• Develop an environment of administrative confidence through vision, decisive judgments, and proactive methods
• Create and strategically plan for the collective development, growth, and sustainability of academic departments associated with the College.
• Balance the immediate needs of individual departments with long-term benefits for the College.
• Support department chairs in their efforts to lead and manage individual departments.
• Cultivate a supportive, positive, and academically strong environment for faculty members and students in the College.
• Recruit qualified and appropriate faculty in conjunction with department chairs and faculty to enhance the academic standing of the College.
• Identify the current and long-term needs of the College based on contemporary issues and developments that impact the academic disciplines associated with the College.
• Exercise fiscal responsibility with respect to the College's operating budget.
• Support innovative departmental approaches to curriculum development and delivery of learning.
• Develop realistic and community focused goals for strengthening the College's presence on campus and in the local community.
• Aggressively seek alternative funding that academically and/or professionally builds and enhances the college's relationship with appropriate agencies and/or constituencies.
• Establish and maintain relationships with college alumni.
• Support and promote the mission and purpose of the Offices of the Vice Provost for Health Affairs and Provost
• Cooperate with and participate in initiatives originating from the Office of the Provost.
• Monitoring and evaluating the performance of faculty and department chairs as well as any administrative staff directly associated with the College.
Posting Description Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Lipscomb Website
- Online job posting (CareerBuilder)
- Personal Referral
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
To apply please click here!
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3