The department exists to support the goals of the university - teaching, research and patient care - by fostering a safe and secure environment in which members of the Tufts community can learn, work and live. Whereas safety and security is a responsibility shared by the whole community, the mission is achieved by applying leadership and our unique expertise to partnerships designed to prevent loss, reduce harm, and solve problems. Job Summary:
Responsible for developing and implementing plans and programs to mitigate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from the wide range of predictable and unpredictable risks that arise in a diverse and multi-locational campus setting. Oversees university-wide emergency preparedness and hazard mitigation through resiliency planning, including continuous development of emergency operations, business continuity, resiliency and other associated plans and policies; the implementation and training associated with such policies; strategic planning; planning for and assessment of responses to disasters and other emergencies, and developing event action plans for large university events as well as associated after action reports to assess successes and opportunities for continuous improvement. Manages assigned staff. Other duties as assigned. Qualifications:Basic Requirements:
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion of associate's degree or equivalent in Emergency Management, Business Administration, Health and Safety or other relevant field. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- 5 years of progressively responsible Emergency Management Director level experience.
- Current and valid Motor vehicle operator's license with no major infractions or violations.
- Completion of FEMA training courses IS-100, IS-700, IS-800; NIMS ICS-300.
- Knowledgeable in systems administration, proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team in emergency preparedness, business continuity, and resiliency programs.
- Demonstrated ability in the development and facilitation of effective training programs in emergency preparedness, business continuity and other related activities to build cohesive communication for students and staff in preparation for emergency situations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with local, state and emergency services providers and federal agencies such as MEMA, DHS/FEMA, as well as with counterparts at other universities and professional organizations such as IAEM to identify and implement best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to delegate effectively.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability with public speaking and conducting presentations.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a related field.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Strategic planning experience.
- Advanced professional development training certifications in Emergency Management from FEMA, NEMA, MEMA or related agencies. Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) and/or Certified or Master Business Continuity Professional (CBCP or MBCP).
This position is the primary incident leader for domestic emergencies and as such is required to be on-call to activate the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and other identified emergency response teams when appropriate. Occasional travel required to Tufts University sites and campuses in Massachusetts. In case of a serious emergency, may be expected to travel on short notice.An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity. To apply please click here!