Director of Campus Rec & Wellness
ESU Student Activity Association, Inc. (SAA)
Executive Director, ESU Student Activity Association, Inc.
The Director of Campus Rec & Wellness is a full-time, exempt professional position. This position works on the main campus of East Stroudsburg University in East Stroudsburg, PA. The Director is primarily responsible for creating recreational opportunities for the ESU community that will enrich the student experience by cultivating diverse, meaningful relationships and developing healthy, lifestyle habits. They are charged with the day-to-day operation and utilization of the University’s two indoor, recreational facilities and programming. The incumbent serves as advisor to the Campus Rec & Wellness Advisory Council. Occasionally, the position will require travel, driving vehicles, and late-night hours as well as weekends.
- Oversee the recruitment, management, training, development, and evaluation of professional staff, student employees, and graduate assistants.
- Provide strategic and visionary leadership in the development and implementation of all programs including Facilities Operations (Mattioli Recreation Center and RecB Fitness Center), Fitness and Wellbeing (group fitness, personal training, and wellness programs) and Sport Activities (leagues and club sports) and other recreational activities that meet student needs and support the mission of the University.
- Develop and maintain a strong culture of assessment and reporting that includes student learning outcomes, event assessment, program reviews, monthly and annual reports, participation tracking, and return on investment.
- Establish and maintain written operating policies and procedures in compliance with national, state, SAA and University standards/guidelines.
- Prepare and administer the annual operating budgets, manage cash collection, and other financial matters in consultation with the SAA Business Office.
- Ensure risk management and emergency response protocols follow industry standard of care for all Campus Rec & Wellness facilities and programs through regular review and practice.
- Develop co-sponsored and complementary programs that enhance the development of the whole person and provide positive campus life experience as well as form strong network ties within the Division of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence, campus student organizations, departments, programming committees, and community organizations.
- Build and deploy a comprehensive marketing program that includes, but is not limited to content creation and management of flyers, webpages, and social media accounts.
- Acquire, maintain, control, and regularly inventory the department’s equipment, supplies, and software.
- Oversee the reservation and scheduling of recreational facilities and work collaboratively with Intercollegiate Athletics to reserve outdoor space for club sports, leagues, and special events and Conference Services for camps and clinics reservations.
- Responsible for the regular coordination of and reporting department updates and changes to Campus Rec & Wellness Advisory Council.
- Implement practices that support the University’s recruitment, retention, and progression of ESU students.
- Work in conjunction with Facilities Management for recreational facilities’ cleaning, repairs, routine maintenance, and card access system.
- Approve payroll hours for all Campus Rec & Wellness staff
- Assist in the coordination of capital projects, renovations/remodeling projects as they relate to the Campus Rec & Wellness program.
- Serve on appropriate University committees and task forces.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the issues of social equity and continue to develop professionally in multicultural competence.
- Maintain professional competency and departmental benchmarking through conference attendance, developing professional contacts, and self-directed professional learning as well as supervise student delegates at conferences.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of the Student Activity Association.
- Master’s Degree in Physical Education, Recreation, Sports Management, or related field.
- Five or more years’ professional experience in recreational or sports facility management and operations; student staff development; equipment maintenance and repair
- Certification in CPR, AED and First Aid by the American Red Cross, American Heart or other nationally recognized organization.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of recreation and wellness programming and risk management in a college setting with a commitment to student development.
- Successful programming experience that includes development, implementation, and assessment of recreation/activity programs.
- Knowledge of current health issues faced by college age students (e.g. mental health, alcohol, and other drug and social issues on university campuses).
- Demonstrate experience in the use of digital tools and social media in outreach to students, which may include WarriorLink (Engage), website CMS systems, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Strong commitment to the responsible stewardship of student funds.
- Certified Instructor in CPR, AED and First Aid by the American Red Cross, American Heart, or other nationally recognized organization.
- Fitness/ Wellness Certification in group fitness, personal training, strength & conditioning and/or health and wellness
- Membership in the National Intramural Recreational Sport Association (NIRSA) or NIRSA recognized state association.
- Ability to bend and squat; and stand or sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Must have a valid state issued driver’s license.
*Accommodations for these requirements can be made and must be requested and coordinated through the Director of Business Services in conjunction with the individual’s direct supervisor.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring range is $70,000–$75,000/annually. SAA offers an excellent benefits package.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Contact information of three references
- A statement of diversity and inclusiveness in higher education that includes professional development, programming, and growth in multicultural competencies
Applications are to be sent to Fernando Alcantar, Director of Student Engagement, by email to email@example.com or postal service to ESU Student Activity Association, Inc., East Stroudsburg University, 200 Prospect Street, University Center Room 223, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301. Applications received by April 23, 2021 will receive full consideration, and final selection will be based on a successful interview. Candidate will be required to furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. and provide satisfactory clearances as required by the PA State Protection of Minors Policy upon appointment.
About East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
East Stroudsburg University (ESU) is a comprehensive university in northeastern Pennsylvania offering 58 undergraduate programs, 21 master’s programs, and 2 doctoral programs. It is one of the 14 institutions in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. Founded in 1893, more than 5,800 students currently attend ESU. Nestled in the Pocono Mountains, the university is only 90 minutes away from New York City and less than two hours away from Philadelphia.
SAA Mission Statement:
“The Student Activity Association Incorporated (SAA), a University affiliate, is dedicated to the support of East Stroudsburg University students and the campus community. This is accomplished by fostering active leaders for a global society and by providing innovative programs, services, and initiatives to cultivate a holistic student experience.”
Campus Rec & Wellness Mission Statement:
The mission of ESU’s Campus Rec & Wellness department is to provide to the University community a safe, rewarding, and educational environment designed to promote holistic lifestyles through physical fitness activity, formal and informal competition, leadership development, academic partnerships, and opportunities for professional, social and career growth. Guided by core values, innovative and diverse programming, and state of the art facilities, the Center’s spirited and committed staff pride themselves in fostering an atmosphere of empowerment that leads to the healthy development of the whole person.