**Please note that this position is located in Washington, DC; however the American Council on Education is currently in a remote status and the interview process will be conducted remotely. Our status is subject to change based on guidance surrounding COVID-19**
Reporting to the Senior Vice President (SVP), the Director of Strategy and Operations serves as the operations point person for the Learning and Engagement (L&E) Division. This role coordinates operational areas of the division that pertain to finance, technology, staffing, and communications, and supports senior divisional leaders with the implementation and monitoring of the division's strategic objectives and operating model. S/he will coordinate the efforts of the various L&E operations teams to ensure high levels of support for the division's programs, products, and services while creating systems and developing efficiencies to maximize effectiveness. The Director of Strategy and Operations will support the SVP in providing administrative oversight of the division and will engage in special projects and initiatives at the discretion of the SVP. S/he will have one direct report (Special Assistant to the SVP).
Essential Job Duties or Tasks:
- Supports the SVP in the management of L&E to maximize human and fiscal resources and develop business strategies to include strategic planning, establishing goals and objectives, and budget and human resource management.
- Anticipates the SVP’s and other senior leaders’ needs in advance and assures that they have prepared materials well in advance of events and meetings.
- Plans, coordinates, and organizes meetings of the Divisional Leadership Team, Full Division Meetings, and other strategy meetings as requested by ensuring purposeful agendas are created, action items are recorded, and timely follow up occurs.
- Works to instill an expectation of accountability and responsibility among staff, as well as a healthy and engaging divisional work environment and culture.
- Coordinates the operations efforts and ensures that the units are working effectively to address the needs of the division and the members it serves.
- Oversees the operational implementation of the division's strategic plan, monitors progress of the plan, and prepares strategic updates as requested; including coordinating the development and tracking of division business/impact metrics and dashboards.
- Prepares, manages, and monitors the divisional restricted and unrestricted budgets and directs the preparation of reports as necessary; coordinates the annual budget planning process for the division; serves as primary divisional liaison to the ACE Finance office.
- Manages overall budgetary performance of the division’s units. Reviews budget documents and makes projections to keep the division and its programs & services meeting or exceeding expectations.
- Coordinates and participates in the search process for new hires within the L&E units and is the primary divisional liaison to the ACE Human Resources office.
- Serves as the primary divisional liaison to the administrative and information technology units of ACE.
- Establishes and oversees internal L&E procedures to assure consistency within external communications and adherence to Council operational protocols.
- In partnership with the Senior Vice President, develops and facilitates collaborative cross council business policies and strategies.
- Assists the Senior Vice President and other divisional leaders with the planning and implementation of special projects and initiatives.
- Writes reports, briefs or other pieces on an as needed basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience/Specialized Knowledge and Competency Requirements:
- Master's degree required in public administration, business administration, or another related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience; highly preferred.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Operations or chief of staff experience.
- A history of successful administrative experience, particularly in non-profit operations and leadership.
- Experience with strategic planning, budgeting, and monitoring.
- Experience developing proposals and budget reports highly recommended.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills essential.
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams preferred but not required.
Resume and cover letter required during the application process.
The American Council on Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, genetic information, credit information or protected veteran status.