Director of Student Accounts and Financial Engagement
Ohio Wesleyan University ( www.owu.edu ) is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located just 20 miles north of Columbus. Ohio Wesleyan University’s Division of Finance and Administration is currently seeking a full-time Director of Student Accounts and Financial Engagement. The position is a full-time, 12-month, salaried position with full benefits, reporting directly to the Vice President for Finance and Administration and Treasurer.
The Director of Student Accounts and Financial Engagement is responsible for the overall administration of all aspects of student accounts at Ohio Wesleyan University. This includes the billing of tuition, fees and additional charges posted to a student’s account and the application of payments to the account. The position collaborates with others across the university in communicating with students and families to increase financial literacy related to the college experience and students’ financial obligations to the university. The position will create programming and content to increase students’ financial literacy. The Director is a critical member of the Student Intervention Team. Position ensures compliance with federal and state laws and policies, as well as University policies, governing the confidential financial information of students. The Director is responsible for various account reconciliations on a monthly basis and plays an important role in year-end closing processes and audit preparation in collaboration with the accounting team. The position will actively foster a welcoming environment for all persons.
● Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field;
● Five years of experience in a similar professional accounting position such as accounts receivable;
● Effective customer service skills;
● Effective written communication skills;
● Effective MS Excel and Word skills;
● Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
● Successful Bursar or Student Accounts experience and knowledge of FERPA;
● Knowledge of financial literacy practices and interest in developing financial literacy skills among students;
● Experience with implementing student retention strategies;
● Aptitude for interpreting and communicating financial data to individuals from a non-financial background;
● Knowledge of basic student registration functionality and financial aid award processes;
● Successful experience working cooperatively and collaboratively with at various levels of an organization to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results;
● Knowledge of IRS rules related to IRS form 1098-T;
● Successful experience managing multiple projects and priorities proactively;
● Experience with an online third-party payment tool, such as Nelnet ePayment;
● Experience using PowerCampus (Ellucian) and FlyWire (wire transfers);
● Experience using MS Dynamics GP (general ledger system);
● Advanced Excel skills, such as Vlookup, Index, Pivot Tables;
● Analytical and problem solving skills;
● Conflict resolution skills and calm presence to de-escalate students in financial difficulty;
● Experience with the Google suite of products (Mail, Drive, Sheets, Calendar, Docs, etc.);
● Experience streamlining and automating processes and working for continuous process improvement;
● Effective oral communication skills;
● Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with others in and beyond the accounting department;
● Student-centered focus and work ethic;
● Experience advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, and supporting students from diverse backgrounds.
● Ability to actively foster a respectful, positive work environment that welcomes all persons.
● An appreciation for and willingness to engage with the mission and aims of OWU.
A complete application consists of:
1) Cover letter that addresses how the applicant meets the qualifications for the position.
3) A document of 500 words or less in which you respond to the following prompt: “How would your vision for this position be aligned with OWU’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism?”
Application deadline is May 21, at 11:59 PM.
Applicants should be aware that a list of three professional references with complete contact information and explanation of relationship will be required at a later date for those applicants who move forward in the process.
OWU is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and welcomes applications from all. OWU celebrates diversity and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, culture, national origin, sex and/or sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, economic barriers, or any other legally protected factor. OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and ant-racism. Qualified individuals will not be disadvantaged based on being unemployed.Posted: 05/18/2021