05/07/2021 Requisition Number
PRN26067B Job Title
Engineer 2 Working Title
Cleanroom Engineer 2 Job Grade
F FLSA Code
Professional Patient Sensitive Job Code?
No Standard Hours per Week
40 Full Time or Part Time?
Full Time Shift
Day Work Schedule SummaryVP Area
Academic Affairs Department
00051 - College of Engineering-Dean Location
Salt Lake City, UT Type of Recruitment
External Posting Pay Rate Range
50000 to 75000 Close Date
06/18/2021 Open Until Filled
No Job Summary
The Utah Nanofab Cleanroom is seeking applicants for a clean room safety and equipment maintenance engineering position. The engineer will report to the clean room manager and assist in the installation, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of cleanroom equipment. The engineer will oversee cleanroom safety, chemical handling, and gas monitoring systems, write standard operating procedures and reports, and train researchers on safety protocols and equipment operation. The job includes working with professors, researchers, staff and other departments such as environmental health and safety, building facilities, the college of engineering, campus design and planning for facilities, safety, and equipment installation needs.
This position is considered Category I: Mandatory and required on campus or health care facilities to support on-site operations. Employees hired into this category will be required to be physically located at work site if they are healthy and without COVID -19 symptoms.Responsibilities
1. LAB SAFETY
• Responsible for lab safety systems including hazardous gas monitoring, chemical handling, ppe, etc
• Provide lab user safety training and ensure and enforce compliance with safety practices and protocols
• Review and evaluate new material requests, write reports and recommendations
• Work with University of Utah Environmental Health and Safety department on safety concerns and questions
• Identify and mitigate potential safety hazards and risks
• Maintain safety data sheets and protocols
2. CHEMICAL AND MATERIAL HANDLING
• Maintain chemical, material, and gas inventory and database
• Oversee chemical and gas supplies, labeling, and handling systems
• Maintain and monitor gas cabinets, gas delivery, gas abatement, and hazardous gas detection systems
3. MAINTENANCE OF CLEANROOM , EQUIPMENT , AND SUPPORTING INFRASTRUCTURE
• Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain cleanroom process equipment
• Interface and coordinate with building group on facility maintenance of cleanroom support systems
• Oversee and coordinate lab cleanliness with janitorial services and student employees
• Assist with new equipment planning and installation
Nearly Continuously: Cleanroom lab environment.
Occasional: Hazards (includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working on high places, or exposure to gases or chemicals).
Nearly Continuously: Standing, walking, reading. Often: repetitive hand motion (such as typing), bending, talking, hearing, listening, reaching overhead.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Seldom: Hazards ( includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, or exposure to chemicals). Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.Minimum Qualifications
A Bachelor's degree in a chemical, electrical, mechanical or a related field, or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education) and two years engineering related experience required. Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills also required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.Preferences
Highly prefer demonstrated training in, knowledge of, and experience with safety systems and practices
Highly prefer solid knowledge of materials and chemistry: able to research and evaluate new material/chemical requests from researchers.
Experience and aptitude in troubleshooting and repair of vacuum systems, process equipment, building systems and other mechanical systems.
Detail oriented and have strong organizational skills highly preferredType
Benefited Staff Special Instructions SummaryAdditional Information
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans' preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or protected veteran's status. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or activity that it operates, as required by Title IX and 34 CFR part 106. The requirement not to discriminate in education programs or activities extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its regulations may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, or both.
To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability or if you or someone you know has experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, you may contact the Director/Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action:
Director/ Title IX Coordinator
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action ( OEO /AA)
135 Park Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Online reports may be submitted at oeo.utah.edu For more information: https://www.utah.edu/nondiscrimination/
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems ("URS"). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS' post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a related Bachelor's degree or equivalency? (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education)
- * How many years of engineering related work experience do you have?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year or more, but less than 2 years
- 2 years or more, but less than 5 years
- 5 years or more, but less than 8 years
- 8 years or more
Applicant Documents Required Documents
To apply please click here!
- Cover Letter
- Addendum to the University of Utah - Veteran Only - Call 801.581.2169 after submission
- Appropriate discharge document (such as a DD-214 - Member Copy 4) - Veteran Only - Call 801.581.2169