Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Equip Tech II, Electro-Mechanical-Range ADepartment:
CLA-Graphic Communication (109200)College/Division:
CLA-College of Liberal ArtsSalary Range:
CSU Range: $3,748 - $6,779/month (Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,500 - $5,500/month)Position Description:
The Graphic Communication (GRC) Department in the College of Liberal Arts at the California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo is seeking an Equipment Technician II, Electro-Mechanical. The purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive instructional and technical services to the printing, publishing, imaging and related functions necessary to support the department's academic mission, including the installation, maintenance, diagnosis and repair of computer, electrical, electronic, and mechanical equipment housed in the Graphic Communication Department.Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only):
The Graphic Communication (GRC) Department is one of the largest and best known programs in the country, is the only program of its kind within the CSU, and is one of three nationally accredited programs by the Accrediting Council for Collegiate Graphic Communications, Inc. The department offers a Bachelor of Science degree with five concentrations and a minor in Graphic Communication.
Physically, the department occupies approximately 33,000 square feet of space, which includes 10 laboratories. In addition to its instructional laboratories, the department provides students with experiential opportunities through University Graphic System (UGS) and the Electronic Prepress Laboratory (EPL). Co-curricular activities are provided for students through several department clubs. Program enrollment is approximately 350 majors and 50 minors.
Present GRC staffing allocation includes one department head, nine tenured/tenure-track faculty members, six part-time faculty members, one department technician, one full-time Administrative Support Coordinator II and one 10-month Administrative Support Assistant II; part-time faculty and student assistants vary by quarter.
NOTE: To view the full position description including all the Required Qualifications click here
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. Check our benefits website for additional information.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:Required Qualifications:
Two years of journey-level experience in the maintenance, repair and operation of electromechanical equipment or closely related experience which demonstrates skill in the construction, repair, and fabrication of similar equipment. (Two years of semi-skilled experience in maintenance and repair of scientific/technical equipment or related equipment experiences as part of instructional support activities, or two years of trade school or technical arts training with specialization in electromechanical equipment repair, or completion of apprenticeship program, or completion of full military specialization in electromechanical equipment maintenance and repair may be substituted for one year of the required experience)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, DEGREES, CREDENTIALS:
Must posses or have the ability to obtain by the hire date of hire a valid Drivers License.
- Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment used in construction, installation, maintenance, repair and operation of equipment specific to the printing, publishing, imaging, and related industries; knowledge of the repair and maintenance of tools and shop equipment, and applicable safety practices; working knowledge of design and drafting procedures.
- Ability to perform complex troubleshooting; ability to design, fabricate, modify, and repair technical equipment specific to the printing, publishing, imaging, and related industries following original or suggested plans; ability to analyze equipment problems and determine what repairs are needed; ability to install, place, and maintain a wide variety of equipment related to the area of job assignment.
- Knowledge of the operation, installation, maintenance and repair of computer, electronics, and related systems, including applicable safety practices, based on knowledge of electronics, mechanics, physics, and thorough documentation specific to the printing, publishing, imaging, and related industries.
- Ability to produce high quality products using prepress and digital printing equipment. Ability to work with specialized hardware and software for graphic communication, including graphics, scanning, page layout, imposition, workflow, and similar systems.
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency in using standard software packages. Thorough knowledge and proficiency necessary to complete computer, electronics, peripherals, and software installations, maintenance, and repair, including ability to read and understand an electrical schematic specific to the printing, publishing, imaging, and related industries.
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot computer hardware, software, system connections, and interface malfunctions. Ability to analyze printer and printing malfunctions.
- Ability to coordinate purchases of hardware, software, and consumables with a limited budget; ability to decide on how much inventory to keep; ability to work with vendors in a professional manner to obtain donated hardware, software, and consumables.
- Ability to work independently and effectively; organize and prioritize day-to-day workload, as well as longer term projects while working in a setting with continual interruptions and changing priorities; ability to develop own work schedule and monitor progress against defined parameters.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with users, peers, management, and vendors.
- Ability to supervise, train, support, and delegate work to student employees. Ability to work with and instruct others in a professional, service-oriented manner.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to make arithmetic computations where required.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- NOTE: To view the full position description including all the Required Qualifications click here
- A Bachelor's degree (Graphic Communication or related field preferred) and at least four years of related experience in the field preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment using a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
- Experience with sheet-fed and web-fed printing machines specific to the graphic communication industry. Specific experience with Heidelberg, MarkAndy, Konica-Minolta, Ricoh, and Xerox systems preferred.
****This position is Open Until Filled.**** Review Begin Date:
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain by the date of hire a valid Driver's License.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Must be able to move items weighing up to 50 lbs., and know how to use various lifting technologies to handle heavier loads.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check.
- This position classification has been defined as "Non-Exempt" and is subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.calpolyjobs.org
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency