Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for Financial Aid Specialist. The successful candidate for this position will assist the Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid through the awarding process and assist the Assistant Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid with the student loan program while counseling current and prospective students and their parents with regard to financial aid programs. Based on the duties of the position the incumbent will need to possess a high level of initiative, self-motivation and be able to work with discretion regarding sensitive information.
This full-time, 12-month, benefit eligible position, which includes a comprehensive package including health, vision and dental insurance benefits, retirement benefits, a generous holiday schedule, and undergraduate tuition remission for employee's dependents among other benefits.Responsibilities
- Assist in the administration of the Federal Direct Loan Program by collecting necessary forms from students and parents, including PLUS applications, Master Promissory Notes, and entrance counseling
- Calculates loan amounts, prepares and executes all electronic transmissions, adjusts loan amounts per student request, and returns funds due to ineligibility and return of Title IV funds
- Completes exit counseling with students graduating or leaving NWU
- Prepares files for all prospective new students; reviews all financial aid award data in computer, prints and mails award letters, as well as, appropriate forms to students
- Updates computer with appropriate acceptance, denial or changes in financial aid upon receipt of award letters from students
- Notifies NSLDS of all transfer students
- Processes outside scholarships received
- Composes correspondence, aggregate and detailed reports, and a full range of financial aid forms and other materials to students and parents
- Proactively reaches out to new students; answers, counsels, or redirects questions from parents and/or students; visits with current student or families regarding specific and/or general inquires.
Commitment to Diversity:
- Must have a bachelor's degree; preferably in Business Administration or related field
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in financial aid, banking, finance, accounting or other related fiscal experience
- Must be computer literate regarding Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, with the ability to learn internal software packages, File Transfer Programs, and loan processing software
- Must have outstanding organizational skills, be detailed and accurate in processing financial aid information, and have excellent math aptitude
- Possess good interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to comprehend and apply the ever-changing federal laws pertaining to financial aid, including proper processing of information and meeting all federal deadlines
- Must be sensitive to the importance of confidentiality of students' and parents' financial records
- Must be able to work well with students, faculty, staff and administration while anticipating and understanding their needs
- Demonstrate good spelling and proofreading skills, be adaptable, flexible, and work with multiple interruptions
- Must be able to train and supervise student workers and delegate work projects
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University's mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. The education departments Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.How to Apply:
To apply, please upload a letter of application, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.