Provides highly service-oriented dispatch services, responsible for maintaining effective and efficient communications among the Public Safety dispatch center, officers in the field, outside emergency services agencies, the campus community and the public.WORK HOURS:
Primarily weekends and overnights. Must be willing and able to work nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary. In this position you are limited to 29 or fewer hours per week and less than 999 hours in your anniversary year.ESSENTIAL AND RELATED FUNCTIONS:
- Receives and takes action on all emergency and non-emergency calls made to Public Safety.
- Dispatches Public Safety staff as necessary and appropriate, and maintains communication to ensure that all pertinent information is received.
- Maintains appropriate logs and records within the dispatch function of the department.
- Receives and transfers calls on the University switchboard system. Monitors alarm systems, cctv camera systems and other security related technologies in the Public Safety dispatch center.
- Acts as a knowledgeable resource to students, staff and visitors to campus. Provides general information such as directions as well as more up to date information about campus events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Application Instructions:External Applicants:
- Position requires a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior dispatch center experience is preferred.
- Successful candidate will have a working knowledge of computer programs such as email, word processing and basic spreadsheets. Prior experience with security-related technologies preferred (i.e. CAD/RMS systems, cctv camera systems, access control systems, etc.)
- Successful candidate will possess a high degree of reliability, ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality, and ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Successful candidate will also possess the ability to relate well to students, faculty and a diverse community.
- Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license and a good driving history.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background check.
Complete the online application forms. Cover letter and resume are optional. If your upload a resume
on the Quick Apply
screen, the application will will automatically populate your resume details, and you may verify and update data on the My Information
page. You may add a cover letter
to the Resume/CV
document upload section at the bottom of the My Experience
application page if you wish. You will not be able to modify your application after you submit it.
The My Experience
page is the only opportunity to add a cover letter. The online application form requires you provide names and contact information for three professional references.Current W&L Employees:
Apply from your existing Workday account. Click Apply
from the Open W&L Jobs
report. Update your Education
and Job History.
Provide three professional references with contact information
in the appropriate boxes. Cover letter and resume are optional. Refer to the Job Aid
for additional guidance.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with whole hand or arm as in handling.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Repetitive motions: Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Extensive sitting in standard dispatch desk environment.
- Extensive typing and computer work
- Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Non-ExemptHourly Pay Rate:
$13.00To apply please click here!