Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience.
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up. About the Position
The Police Lieutenant is responsible for providing leadership, management and motivation within the University Police Department. The University Police Department provides twenty-four hour professional police services to the campus community, ensuring that it remains a safe and vibrant environment. The Police Lieutenant will also be expected to assume command in the Captain's absence.
The University Police Department is divided into five areas of responsibility: Patrol Division with a Day Watch and a Night Watch (includes oversight of specialized duties such as Emergency Preparedness; Field Training; Martin Luther King Jr. Library Security and the Cadet/Public Safety Assistant program); Administrative Division (consisting of Investigations and Professional Standards (includes oversight of critical functions such as Training; Policy and Procedures; Property and Evidence; Firearms and Tactics and management of fleet and equipment); Records/Communications Division and Parking Services. The Police Lieutenant will be responsible for oversight and administration of either a Patrol Division Watch, Administrative Division or the Investigations Division. The assignment is subject to change at the Chief's discretion. Work may be evaluated based on feedback from campus community members in addition to the ability to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed below.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides leadership and management to operational units, providing strategic direction to their chain of command, oversight for field situations and effective allocation and coordination of Department resources.
- Responsibilities include attending meetings with departmental and outside groups, teaching training classes, delivering lectures or briefings, preparing reports, and maintaining personnel records.
- Maintains regular contact and interaction with appropriate law enforcement and public safety organizations at the local, state and federal levels.
- Leverages professional relationships to identify and recommend best practices that will strengthen the Department's ability to achieve its goals.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations. Required Qualifications
- High School Diploma/GED and/or Associate Degree in Administration of Justice, Business Management, Social Science, or related field from an accredited college or university or have experience equivalent
- POST Advance Certificate and Supervisory Certificate.
- Ten (10) years of experience as a sworn Police Officer in California law enforcement with demonstrated experience in progressively responsible assignments, or a combination of education and experience
- Five (5) years of sworn supervisory experience in the rank of Sergeant or above License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses. Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- POST Management Certificate
- Graduation from a leadership course (i.e. Sherman Block, LAPD, West Point, etc.)
- Experience taking direct charge of events and emergencies and teaching or mentoring officers
- Experience in various assignments (i.e. patrol, investigations, administrative, specialist units etc.) Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to apply the principles, practices and procedures of modern public safety administration.
- Advanced knowledge of pertinent Federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances; causative factors contributory to crime and delinquency.
- Skilled in obtaining information through interview, interrogation and observation.
- Maintain a co-operative working relationship with a diverse population of administrators, faculty, staff, students and parents.
- Ability to respond in the event of an emergency or major incident.
- Ability to build confidence and trust with the campus community.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relations with the general public, subordinates, and superiors.
- Ability to plan, assign, and supervise the work of police personnel, and develop and conduct training courses.
- Skilled in leading and motivating police personnel.
- Ability to do necessary research in police subjects read and interpret laws, rules, and regulations, remember detail of incidents, and prepare reports and correspondence.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action using sound judgment.
- Advanced knowledge of the Police Officers Bill of Rights.
- Advanced knowledge of Police Administration.
- Ability to lead, direct and manage personnel.
- Ability to make sound decisions.
- Ability to conduct effective meetings.
- Ability to obtain a POST Management Certificate within two years of appointment Application Procedures
Complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
-Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 23, 2019 through DAY September 8, 2019. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Additional Information
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to be fingerprinted as part of a background check and fingerprinting. The background check includes: criminal records check, employment, certification and education verification, motor vehicle, and credit check. All background checks are conducted by the University Police Department. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Contact Information
408-924-2250 Transformation 2030
Engage and Educate: Be a university of first choice where we bring together exceptional people - students, faculty and staff members, and our community - to do extraordinary things with their lives as learners, creators and champions.
Excel and Lead: Be a leading academic institution where faculty and staff members and alumni are regional, national and global leaders in their fields.
Grow and Thrive: Be an inclusive, welcoming and well-balanced community and institution that ensures long-term financial sustainability and effectiveness and also attracts, retains and sustains faculty and staff members and students.
Connect and Contribute: Be an engaged and dynamic urban university with strong connections locally and globally.
Rebuild and Renew: Be a flourishing, modern campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure, campus spaces and technology to support learning, research and community.To apply please click here!