Posting Details Recruitment Pool
All Applicants Recruitment Type
Single Title Scope of Search
Local Working Title
Police Officer Position Number
533250 Position Type
Staff Job Status
Full-Time FLSA Indicator
Non-Exempt Employee Group
University Employee Department
Campus Police Organizational Overview
At VCU , we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery - the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It's a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work. Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Virginia Campus Police Act of 1976 authorized the establishment of campus police departments at the public institutions of higher learning. Officers assigned to such departments exercise the powers and duties conferred by law upon police officers of cities, towns, and counties. Officers patrol on foot, bicycle and in automobiles in and around the university to determine security of facility and detect intruders. Officers respond to complaints and requests from the University Community. Officers generate reports, arrest or administratively handle complaints. Officers generate field contacts, self initiated activities and respond to radio dispatched calls. Be a part of one of the nation's premier campus law enforcement agencies at VCU Police. With 99 sworn officers, 25 civilian employees, and an on-campus dispatch center advancing an "all-out community policing" mission in the heart of Richmond, VCU Police offers exciting opportunities for law enforcement careers in a dynamic urban setting. VCU Police serves two campuses and a diverse population of more than 50,000 students, faculty and staff.
The VCU Police Department has a competitive starting salary and a generous package of state benefits, including tuition waiver with up to 2 classes per semester, for officers wishing to pursue higher education. Benefits include:
• Starting salary: $44,990 with a 2% increase after successful completion of Field Training
• Choice of health, dental, disability and life insurance plans offered through the Commonwealth of Virginia
• Generous leave benefits
• Flexible scheduling for officers with military commitments
• Free access to VCU Police Department gym facilities 24/7
• Tuition waiver program for studies at VCU and opportunities for professional development and career advancement
• Participation in the Virginia Supplemental Retirement System, VaLORS Program, and deferred compensation plans
• Equipment, uniforms and cleaning of Class A uniforms are provided
• Additional university benefits are described on VCU's Human Resources website
• Supplemental Life Insurance (Optional)
• Off Duty Over-Time with pay
• The VCU Police Department has a Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Program ( LEAP ). Qualified applicants for Police Officer positions may be offered early employment in this program during the selection process, until the start of the Basic Academy. Full salary and benefits begin on the date of hire. Minimum Hiring Standards
Successfully function both mentally and physically under stress and emergency situations. Successfully communicate both verbally and in writing. Successfully obtain certification as Campus Police Officer as required by the Department of Criminal Justice Services. Must have skill to handle firearms and operate a motor vehicle safely.
High School Diploma or GED required. Experience not required but prefers a basic concept and understanding of law enforcement fundamentals. Must have a Virginia motor vehicle driver's license and a clear driving record. Must never have been convicted of a felony, crimes involving moral turpitude or domestic violence. Preferred Hiring Standards
• Ability to work in a high-stress environment with a diverse population
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Willingness to work shifts with varying days off, including possible work on nights, weekends, and/or holidays
• At least 21 years of age
• Two years of college preferred.
• Possess a valid state driver's license and a good driving record
• Must have a good credit history and clean criminal record with no convictions for felonies, domestic violence, or crimes of moral turpitude
• Must pass a physical and mental health evaluation
• Must pass a drug test, polygraph test, and written test
The selection process includes a full VCIN / NCIC / DMV records check, pre-hire physical fitness assessment (including push-ups, sit ups and 1.5 mile run), a written examination, a preliminary interview. A complete background packet including three references, copy of birth certificate, copies of school transcripts, copy of military DD-214 forms (where applicable), and citizenship check. Also included will be an oral review board, fingerprint-based CCRE / FBI check, psychological, and polygraph review. Upon job offer, a full physical exam by a licensed physician and a drug screening will be completed. Final selections are made by the Chief of Police. Required Licenses/ Certifications
Must have a Virginia motor vehicle driver's license and a clear driving record. Anticipated Hiring Range
$44,990 Application Process/Additional Information Campus
MCV and Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week
40 Normal Work Days/Hours
Varies Job Open Date
06/28/2019 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled
No Job Category
Police and Security Is this a restricted position?
No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements?
Yes Sensitive Position
Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical
Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/91006
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you ever been convicted of any felony, or any misdemeanor domestic assault or crime of moral turpitude?
- * Have you ever had your driver's license suspended or revoked? If yes, please provide the date (s) and reason for suspension/revocation:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you ever been convicted of DUI? If yes, please provide date(s) & jurisdiction(s):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you been convicted of reckless driving within the past ten years? If yes, please provide date(s) & jurisdiction(s):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Hours: Are you able to work shift work with varying days off, nights, weekends, and holidays?
- * The Police Department requires that a criminal and driving background/record check be done on all applicants. In order to do this, you MUST provide BOTH your social security number and designated driver's license number to authorize these checks.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you certify that you are physically capable of performing the VCU Police suggested minimum standards fitness test as defined on the VCU Police Website?
- Yes, I certify that I am both aware of the requirements and physically capable of performing the VCU Police suggested minimum standards fitness test
- No, I no longer choose to be considered for this position
Optional & Required Documents Required Documents
To apply please click here!
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application