The Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology
at Virginia Tech is a University level research center that reports to the Vice President of Research and Innovation
. Its mission is to cultivate the next generation of national security leaders by developing and executing curricular, extracurricular, and research opportunities to engage students. Renown academic and research faculty from DOD, IC and industry have converged with guidance from an illustrious Board of Advisors constituted by former Directors of NRO and NGA, S&T heads from CIA and NSA, NCTC, etc. One of the fastest growing research centers at VT, sponsors and collaborators benefit from both highly experienced student talent and senior technical leadership that address some of our nation's greatest security challenges. The Hume team conducts research contracts for the IC, DoD, DHS and Industry. Execution of scope, schedule and cost is complimented by a team of project and program managers. Transition of high impact technology deliverables is effected directly by staff personnel, through industry partnerships and/or numerous individual startups. Opportunity for extramural consulting work also exists. Restricted research is conducted at state of art facilities in Arlington and Blacksburg, VA. Motivated applicants are sought to join as Research Faculty to support rapid growth in our body of programs in resilient C4ISR Missions, Signals Intelligence & Cyber Operations and Autonomy and Orchestration. The winning candidates can expect highly competitive salary and benefits
in a university setting.
This position is focused on individuals with expertise in digital communications, wireless systems, and radar platforms. Successful applicants will have experience with digital signal processing and software defined radio technologies, with applications in military radar, tactical/public safety communications, electronic warfare, and/or satellite communications. Experience with algorithm design, FPGA development, embedded DSP development, multithreaded programming, GPU development, SDR hardware platforms, and Linuxbased designed tools is desired. Specific experience using MATLAB, GNU Radio, HDL Coder, REDHAWK, XMIDAS, VHDL/Verilog, C++, and python is desired.||Specific responsibilities include the following: (1) support the execution of university sponsored programs by conducting research and development; (2) author technical documents and publish peerreviewed academic papers; (3) support the development of new funded research programs by participating in and proposal teams and supporting the business development activities of the Hume Center; and (4) provide mentorship to students and junior researchers working on programs. Those appointed to the rank of Senior Research Associate or Senior Research Scientist have additional responsibility for (5) leading program development efforts and serving as principal investigator on research efforts. Those appointed to the rank of Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist have additional responsibility for (6) serve in a supervisory capacity for students and junior researchers. Required Qualifications
Given the nature of the research conducted and requirement from the federal sponsor, candidates must be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- An earned Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline; or an earned Bachelor's degree Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline and significant related experience.
- Proficiency with the tools germane to field of research.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in executing upon research projects
- Experience with conducting research and development.
- Evidence of high potential for excellence in research and development as demonstrated through academic study or experience.
Senior Research Associate, Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist:
- An earned Doctorate degree in Aerospace Engineering Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline; or an earned Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline and significant related experience.
- Experience serving as a principal investigator in a research and development environment and demonstrated leadership in developing and executing research programs.
- Demonstrated excellence in research and development
- Demonstrated excellence in the leadership of a portfolio of research and development programs.
- Experience in providing research leadership to programs in these areas.
- Active security clearance at the TS/SCI level
- Interest and/or experience in working effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Experience conducting research programs supporting the federal government.
Commensurate with experience.Review Date
Recruiting for multiple positions.Additional Information
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction checkAbout Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.Advertised:
May 20, 2020 Applications close:To apply please click here!