Salisbury University is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Director of the Counseling Center.
Salisbury University, a member of the University System of Maryland, is a regionally accredited four-year comprehensive institution offering 58 distinct graduate and undergraduate programs. Located on the historic Eastern Shore, SU's beautiful campus is some 30 miles from the Atlantic beaches and 2.5 hours from Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Student Affairs:
Committed to the fulfillment of the Salisbury University Mission, the Division of Student Affairs engages students in supportive communities where holistic learning and success are possible. All positions in Student Affairs share the responsibility for creating a campus community that values diversity, inclusion and the uniqueness of others by modeling integrity, care, compassion and respect during interactions with all members of the Salisbury community. To learn more about Student Affairs, visit http://www.salisbury.edu/students/about.html. This is a new position that will evolve as necessary to meet the changing needs of students and the university.Counseling Center:
The Center provides high quality and professional mental health services including prevention, assessment, and treatment of psychological problems, emotional concerns, or mental conditions of individuals or groups. The Center also provides mental health promotion, education related to early problem detection and intervention, student advocacy, and effective access to services. In alignment with the mission of the University and Student Affairs, goals are to promote student welfare and psychological wellbeing, academic success, and a safe and healthy campus community. Through a graduate internship Training Program, the Center also provides quality education and supervision for master's students in social work and other counseling programs.Primary Job Duties:
Provide exceptional crisis intervention, individual and group therapy, and case management addressing mental health concerns impacting academic success; Provide consultation and outreach to staff, faculty, students, parents, and academic leaders concerning students' mental health concerns; Assist with providing culturally-responsive clinical training and supervision of graduate interns; Support and assist the director with administrative responsibilities, including serving as acting director in the director's absence; Participate in university, department, division, and professional activities; and Perform other duties related to the purposes of this position.Minimum qualifications:
- Master's degree in accredited program in counseling, psychology, social work, or rehabilitation counseling
- Licensed psychologist or licensed clinical social worker (LCSW-C or equivalent) OR must be able to obtain Maryland license within 1 year of appointment (credentials and official transcripts will be requested at time of offer)
- At least three years of clinical experience related to the position
- Experience providing culturally-responsive clinical and/or psychoeducational services/programs
- At least three years' experience supervising other clinicians or interns
- Experience with clinical focus area(s) (e.g., GRIT/resilience, eating disorders, Title IX, multicultural counseling, LGBTQIA, addictions and recovery, Telecounseling, grief counseling, spiritual conseling, sexual identity, online students, etc.)
- Experience with crisis response/intervention
- Experience performing or supervising administrative functions (e.g., budgeting, planning, hiring, program assessments, accreditation, business operations, MOUs, program marketing, etc.)
Abilities and Competencies:
- At least three years clinical experience in a higher education setting
- Experience with program assessment/evaluation
- Successful grantwriting experiences; * and/or * successful experiences implementing innovative programs/services, partnerships, and/or promising practices to serve high-volume of client caseloads
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required. Must be detail oriented and have excellent interpersonal, customer service, organization and planning, prioritization, problem solving, follow through, time management, and oral and written communication skills. Also, must be flexible and possess the ability to successfully handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and work well under pressure, independently, and in a team-oriented environment.
Additionally, ideal candidates will possess the following abilities and competencies related to this critical management and supervisory position:
- Ability to anticipate organizational and supervisor needs and develop strategies to meet needs effectively
- Ability to foster positive and effective therapeutic relationships with diverse populations
- Ability to support, promote, and engage in change management initiatives effectively
- Ability to use culturally-responsive interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with diverse and various audiences
- Ability to de-escalate tense, stressful, or crisis situations
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively to various audiences both orally and in writing
- Ability to meet deadlines and supervise the work of others in culturally-responsive and appreciative ways
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage projects with tight or competing deadlines
- Ability to be creative, resourceful, and adept at solving problems
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt appropriate course(s) of action
- Ability to interpret, apply, and explain clearly rules, regulations, policies and procedures to various audiences
- Ability to work confidentially and exercise appropriate discretion
- Ability to effectively coach or mentor professionals
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and maintain effective customer service towards all persons.
- Ability to conduct program level assessments and evaluations using different methodologies (e.g., formative, summative, qualitative, and quantitative) and tools (e.g., SPSS, Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey, etc.)
- Ability to contextualize, implement, and gather support for industry best and promising practices
This is a full-time, exempt, State position with a full benefits package. Position requires occasional evening and/or weekend work to meet operational needs and requirements of the position, especially in support of campus outreach programs and/or emergency response protocols, and all Student Affairs positions require performing other mission-specific duties contingent upon student, university and operational needs. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications will be accepted via Salisbury University's Online Employment Application System. Please visit our website http://www.salisbury.edu/hr/careers/ to apply online. See the FAQs of the Online Employment Application System for more information and instructions.
To be considered an applicant, you must apply online and submit a cover letter and resume. All documents that you wish to provide must be attached to your application in the Online Employment Application System. Please do not send any documents via E-mail. Three professional references will be requested and required before the final stages of the search. Candidates will be notified prior to references being contacted. Applications received by December 10, 2019
will be given full consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Salisbury University. We strive to create a truly diverse and inclusive environment where the richness of ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives of our community is harnessed to create value for our University community to include students, faculty, and staff, today and in the future. To this end, the University recruits exceptional and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across Maryland, the United States, and around the world, supporting all members of the University community as they work together to achieve institutional goals and vision. To learn more about the University's commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive campus, please visit http://www.salisbury.edu/equity/ .To apply please click here!