Custodial Supervisor (Administrator I)
Sonoma State UniversityJob ID:
Sonoma State University (Rohnert Park, CA)Full/Part Time:
Facilities ManagementSalary and Benefits
Starting salary placement depends on qualifications, experience and salary budget, and will not exceed $5,000 a month.
This position is eligible for a broad range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement (CalPERS), tuition waiver, vacation and sick leave. In addition, 14 paid holidays are offered each year; 13 scheduled on specific days and a Personal Holiday that may be taken any time during the year.
A comprehensive benefits summary for this position is available online by clicking the View Benefits Summary
link or by request from SSU Human Resources.Application Deadline
This position is open until filled. For full consideration, please submit application, along with cover letter and resume, by 8am on March 6, 2020. Please refer to the Application Process section of this posting for additional details.Conditions of Employment
This position is a member of the Management Personnel Plan and serves at the pleasure of the President.Responsibilities
Sonoma State University is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. In line with the Seawolf Commitment, our values include respect, responsibility, excellence and integrity. We strive to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. We encourage innovation, experimentation and creativity, as well as contributions to equity and inclusion, in the pursuit of excellence for all members of our university community.
Reporting to and under the general supervision of the Director of Landscaping & Custodial Services, the Custodial Supervisor directs and supervises the activities of the overnight/early morning cleaning operation. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring work frequency standards are met; cleaning of all offices, classrooms, food service venues and gymnasium buildings on campus are complete, overseeing the internal recycling pick-up from campus buildings, and maintaining supply and equipment inventories to meet the needs of the campus.
The major duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides high level customer service support primarily utilizing the department's computerized work control system to respond to requests in a timely manner and to communicate effectively with requestors directly. Conducts follow up communications and/or in-person requests as needed. Coordinates with other shops in the department as needed.
- Provides leadership to staff by ensuring that resources are available for employees to perform their duties.
- Supervises and implements Lead Custodian inspection program to ensure high level of work quality, to measure performance, and to identify effective solutions to mitigate/address problems.
- Supervises and implements building inspection program for Lead Custodian coverage to meet service levels and standards.
- Provides training on standard custodial practices of the University and in compliance with safety standards. Trainings include but not limited to department level trainings for new employees and on-going trainings.
- Performs quality control inspections to ensure service levels and standards are maintained such as, mopping, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, emptying trash cans and recycle bins, cleaning walls, buffing, waxing, stripping and sealing of floors, and specialized cleaning.
- Evaluates and measures service performance by strategically making adjustments/modifications as needed to meet the objectives of the department.
- Maintains and tracks inventory to ensure campus needs are met.
- Maintains and tracks equipment to ensure effective custodial operations.
- Ensures furniture setup of classrooms is in compliance with CSU Standards and State Fire Marshal occupancy load.
- Oversees assigned personnel management; conducts performance evaluations, completes documentation of: performance measures, payroll, and recruitment documents, position descriptions, work injury reports, and creates work schedules.
- Responds to emergency calls after hours as needed.
- Ensures security of spaces serviced including, issuing and collecting master key rings.
Performs other secondary duties as assigned.
Duties will be performed throughout all buildings on the Sonoma State University campus, including working both indoors and outdoors to support and participate in university activities and events. As an exempt employee you have some flexibility in your schedule however must be available to meet the operational needs of the campus and department. The incumbent must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such levels as is determined by the Appropriate Administrator. This position will require occasional travel, by automobile or airplane, and overnight stay to travel to trainings and meetings off campus.Qualifications
The position requires that the incumbent have 3 years' related supervisory experience, leading a large cleaning or maintenance crew. Intermediate proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) required. Knowledge of Google Suite, computerized work control system, and Peoplesoft preferred. The incumbent must possess and/or obtain and thereafter maintain a California Driver's License valid for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required to maintain and operate.
Additionally, the incumbent should prove proficient in the following qualifications:
- Thorough knowledge of cleaning methods, chemicals, equipment and safety practices.
- Knowledge of operations, services and activities of a custodial service program, and principles and procedures of record keeping and pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Possess experience and knowledge of business process and ability to identify opportunities for improvement using detailed data analysis skills.
- Ability to interpret, communicate, and apply policies and procedures and adapt to organizational, procedural, and policy changes.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, and assign staff and supplies to accomplish a large volume of work.
- Ability to understand problems and develop and implement strategies and recommendations for improvement to the department.
- Ability to schedule work effectively in tight timelines.
The incumbent must demonstrate integrity and sound judgment in performing duties; possess the ability to supervise, train, and motivate staff and recommend appropriate personnel actions; be able to apply strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills and train and evaluate performance, taking corrective action as needed; deal with stressful situations while maintaining composure; and contribute to a collaborative
environment utilizing exemplary communication and problem solving skills as necessary. Must have strong listening and organizational skills; excellent customer service and interpersonal, and time management skills; and the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously, adjusting quickly to changes needed on a daily basis. Must have the ability to effectively communicate in both written and verbal form with all levels within the university and establish and maintain productive and effective, inclusive working relationships amongst diverse populations including staff, faculty, administration, students, and other internal and external constituents. Must also possess the ability to accept constructive feedback and work cooperatively in group situations. Must also possess the ability to operationalize sustainability concepts (economy, society, environment) into all aspects of performing job duties.
The duties of this position may include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate may be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.Application Process
Click the "Apply Now
" to apply to this position, materials submitted with your application will not be returned. For questions related to the application process, please reach out to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
1. Cover Letter and Resume - application system only allows one document to be uploaded, so cover letter and resume must be included in the same MS Word or PDF file (file name should not contain any spaces or special characters)
2. Online Employment Application (complete entire application, resume/cover letter will not substitute for any part of the application)
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current employees who apply for this position.
The ADA Coordinator is available at 707.664.2664, to assist individuals with disabilities in need of accommodation during the hiring process.Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
jeid-603c2022361c804cbad37fdb24e8a21d Posted: 06/06/2020