Michigan State University Honors College invites applications for the position of Academic Specialist - Advisor. The position joins a team of advisors who advise and support a diverse population of high achieving undergraduate students in all disciplines.
- Intensive student academic advising to track progress toward University degree requirements using online records systems.
- Must be comfortable interacting with these online systems, or learn them quickly, and share responsibility for recording individualized student programs for our approximately 4000 students.
- Consultation with faculty honors advisors and instructors in all departments;
- advising at Academic Orientation Program;
- interaction with academically-talented undergraduates in all disciplines;
- coordination of selected opportunities for honors students, such as seminars, international experiences, scholarships;
- intentional advising and provision of wrap-around support services for specific populations of Honors College students (e.g. international students, under-represented minorities, and/or first generations students, etc.).
- Develop, implement and provide support for diversity and inclusion initiatives and programming within the college (e.g. International Scholars Advisory Board, Mosaic, etc.); leadership or coordination of other programs as assigned; some advising and recruiting activities involving evenings and weekends.
Additionally, the position requires teaching. Potential offerings include seminars for first year students, student leadership courses and/or related content.