University of DelawareEqual Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.htmlJob No:
Financial Services and Procurement, Administrative Support, Full TimePay Grade: 35EContext of the Job:
Our College mission integrates research, inter-professional education, and clinical services, working with a range of other institutions in creating new models for translational research, education and care. The College is also collaborating strongly with our clinical partners in education and research including: Christiana Care Healthcare System, A.I. Dupont Nemours Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University, Bayhealth, Beebe, and Veteran's Affairs as well as with other regional research and care providers. Increasingly, the research activities of the College are multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary, translational projects that require sophisticated and often complex inter-institutional coordination. This position must help to support the vision of the college by creating strong financial infrastructure and budget model. The strategic plan for the college establishes the priorities for the college, and then the budget and finance models must be created to support the vision and enhance innovation and growth of the college
The Senior Business Officer (SBO) serves as an integral member of the Deans' leadership team of the College and is responsible for integrating the internal organization processes and enhancing the infrastructure in support of the College's mission and that of the University of Delaware. The Senior Business Officer provides accurate and consistent reports for the deans, chairs, and other internal and external constituents as well as supporting the business services in all academic departments. The SBO works with the dean to provide strong business expertise, ensuring that the college budget supports the complex and diverse administrative, academic and research functions of CHS, and ensures that all aspects of college activities are in compliance with University policies and procedures. The Senior Business Officer also provides administrative leadership and oversight of the fiscal affairs, and administrative activities of the various academic and operational components of the College. The SBO acts as liaison with other University departments on behalf of the College and/or Dean. The Senior Business Officer participates with the Dean and internal management in strategic and operational planning and decision making as a member of the Dean's leadership team.Major Responsibilities:
- Advises the Dean on all matters related to the fiscal, strategic and administrative functions of the College.
- Provides leadership for business operations college-wide. Participates in both strategic and operational planning and decision-making regarding various programs, services and functions.
- Manages and develops systems to improve fiscal affairs of the College including budget planning, financial analysis, cash flow and policy issues.
- Participates in developing new business, specifically: assist the Dean and Chairs/Directors in identifying new funding/growth opportunities, the drafting of business plans including budgets and cost effectiveness.
- Leads in the development of the strategic plans working in partnership with the Dean, Chairs and the University's Chief Budget Officer; create short and long-term goals related to the college and University strategic plans. Implements new processes and approaches to achieve specified goals.
- Directly and administratively supervises assigned staff.
- Directs and coordinates administrative functions and enforces University policy for the College in coordination with associated university departments.
- Negotiates, directs and develops contractual agreements between the College and other constituencies, including the State of Delaware, partner institutions, hospitals, clinics, other agencies and vendors.
- Works with College units and University offices to facilitate the financial processing of grants, approve matching funds, and develop reports of College awards. Works with central administration to improve financial management processes.
- Monitors and evaluates program/process/policy effectiveness. Seeks best practices and affects changes required for improvement. Implements procedures that foster cost-effective administrative operations for the College.
- Prepares and presents materials to summarize and justify unit/program budget requests, including data gathering/reporting and trend analyses in connection with budgetary formulation and administration. Prepares and presents business cases and budget proposals for specific projects or ongoing operational needs to the Dean. Such recommendations have a lasting impact on operations of the College.
- Works with the dean's leadership team on operational and administrative matters; reviews, interprets, recommends, and/or implements College policies; identifies issues regarding administrative and fiscal matters; develops systems to monitor academic and administrative deadlines; regularly evaluates College administrative systems and services.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field and eight years of progressively responsible professional management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. (MBA preferred)
- Experience in finance with an outstanding record of accomplishment.
- Leadership ability including strategic planning, team building, business development and change management.
- Advanced analytic, financial modeling and critical thinking skills are expected as are exceptional judgment and initiative.
- Skilled in program planning, examining, and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing innovative strategies and procedures.
- Effective oral and written communication and strong interpersonal skills with evidence of effective interactions with senior administration, faculty, board members and other constituents.
- Proven skills in developing and implementing effective strategic plans, formulating administrative policies and re-designing business processes. Experience in working closely and professionally in and with teams, and in developing staff through effective training and mentoring.
- Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a topnotch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Knowledge and experience with financial and budget planning and human resource management preferably in higher education or the non-profit sector.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence. Applications close: