Support Staff (Tutors) for GEAR UP (2020-2021)
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/2320Type of Assignment: Assignment Category:
Temporary Assignment Position Details:
MiraCosta College is accepting applications for temporary, hourly tutor assignments for the GEAR UP grant. Tutors will initially work with 6th and 7th grade students in math, reading, and writing at Chavez, King, Lincoln and Jefferson Middle Schools in Oceanside and will eventually follow the student cohorts into the high schools. Assignments will be approximately 15 - 20 hours per week in the after-school programs, during lunch periods, and/or during class times (mornings and/or afternoons). Work days will be in alignment with the Oceanside Unified School District's calendar, with occasional hours on Saturday.
ABOUT THE GEAR UP GRANT: GEAR UP is a federally funded Title III Grant. MiraCosta College, in partnership with Oceanside Unified School District, will work with 6th and 7th grade students from four middle schools to prepare them for college. The Federal Department of Education website for GEAR UP is http://www2.ed.gov/programs/gearup/index.html
This discretionary grant program is designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. GEAR UP provides seven-year grants to states and partnerships to provide services at high-poverty middle and high schools. GEAR UP grantees serve an entire cohort of students beginning no later than the seventh grade and follow the cohort through high school.Salary Range:
Starting at $13.00 per hour.Compensation:
Starting at $13.00 per hour.
Employees must make arrangements for the direct deposit of paychecks into the financial institution of their choice, via electronic fund transfer.Benefits:
Short-term, temporary employees may be eligible for Healthy Families Sick Leave, and enrollment in a retirement system.Position Term in Months:
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the required documents directly in the online system.
1. Application on which you list all relevant experience.
2. A current resume.
3. A cover letter.
If you are selected to interview, you will be required to submit proof of high school graduation (diploma, transcripts, or GED equivalent) or completion of a college degree (diploma or transcripts).
Offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) submission of a current tuberculosis test clearance; 2) proof of eligibility to work in the United States; 3) fingerprint clearance; 4) proof of high school graduation or equivalent; 5) approval by the Board of Trustees.
Retired STRS members are not eligible for this position.Basic Function:
Under the direction of the school principals and school site coordinators, perform a variety of academic and clerical support duties for the GEAR UP program. Work directly with students and faculty to carry out programs and projects related to GEAR UP objectives. Work as tutors, classroom assistants, or mentors at both school locations.Distinguishing Characteristics:Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1) Collaborate with and provide support for teachers, instructional assistants, and administrators at school sites.
2) Work directly with students to provide various academic support services (i.e., tutoring; assisting with the completion of forms; assisting with workshops).
3) Assist in the planning, organization, and implementation of GEAR UP grant activities.
4) Perform related duties as assigned.Other Duties:Knowledge Of:
1) Oral and written communication skills.
2) Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
3) Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
4) Methods and practices of recordkeeping.
5) District organization, operations, policies and objectives.Ability To:
1) Maintain records and prepare reports.
2) Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
3) Establish priorities and schedule and perform work to meet timelines.
4) Work independently with little direction.
5) Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
6) Work confidentially with discretion.
7) Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer terminal.
8) Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and disability issues.Education & Experience:
1) Education equivalent to high school graduation.
2) Be 18 years of age or older.Desirable Qualifications:
1) Experience working as a tutor.
2) Experience working with middle/high school age students.
3) Experience conducting student assessments.Licenses & Other Requirements:Physical Effort:
The physical efforts described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily sedentary with intermittent standing, walking, bending and stooping; occasional light lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds; ability to travel to various locations on and off campus as needed to conduct district business.Emotional Effort:
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships involving interactions and communications personally, by phone and in writing with a variety of individuals and/or groups from diverse backgrounds on a regular, ongoing basis; ability to work effectively under pressure on a variety of tasks concurrently while meeting established deadlines and changing priorities.Working Conditions:
Primarily business office/classroom environment or outdoors in a school environment; subject to frequent public contact and interruption; intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion; occasional evening, weekend and/or holiday hours required on an as-needed basis.Posting Number:
S_20/21_005_PHuman Resources Contact Information:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.795.6854Job Close Date:
6/30/2021Open Until Filled:
YesFirst Screening Date: About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at http://www.miracosta.edu/officeofthepresident/pio/aboutmcc.htmlCopyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
jeid-c3d701a1b799ea459cbe785ff8e2b35e Posted: 06/15/2021