Reed Arena UsherAgency
Texas A&M UniversityDepartment
Reed ArenaProposed Minimum Salary
Temporary/Casual Staff (Fixed Term)Job Description Our Commitment
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values . Who we are
Texas A&M Athletics department is committed to building champions through academic achievement, athletic excellence, and national recognition of student-athletes, teams, and programs. We are a proud member of the Southeastern Conference, with more than 650 Texas A&M student-athletes competing at the NCAA Division 1-A level in 20 varsity sports . What we want
The (Program Aide) Usher at Reed Arena is an essential part of front of house operations during games and events. The duties include using ticket scanning equipment to allow guests entry to the facility, enforcing building policies, assisting guests with any issues they encounter and finding resolutions, and providing exceptional customer service to guests and fans inside the arena. T he selected candidates will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above . If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity. What you need to know Please note:
This is a part-time, temporary position with non-standard hours. Multiple positions available. COVID-19 information:
Texas A&M University monitors and updates our recruiting, hiring and onboarding processes to align with local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. Each department has established both remote and in-person procedures for conducting these processes, which include sanitizing common spaces, a mask policy, and maintaining safe physical distancing to the extent possible. Departments will provide the procedures to be followed at each step of the recruiting process. Required Education and Experience:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior experience in the guest services industry
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Understands the live event industry as it relates to crowd management and guest services
- Skills required include attention to detail, ability to interpret and enforce rules, and customer service
- Ability to multi task and work cooperatively with others
- Is comfortable in a learning role where you are being taught new policies / methods and have confidence in ability to implement
- Must be able to operate a handheld ticket scanner or other similar equipment
- Ability to use an electronic scheduling software which operates from an email account. Is welcoming and friendly with all guests
- Is very familiar with the general layout of the facility and where all of the guest amenities are located
- Is familiar with ADA policies
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Position is required to work extended hours (including nights and weekends) and on occasion for multiple continuous days in a row
- Long periods of time walking, standing, and/or moving on hard surfaces
- Working conditions at times are in loud, dark or crowded spaces
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- Three or more years of experience working in the guest services industry
- Thorough understanding of how live events are conducted inside a sports and entertainment venue
- Ability to embrace a guests issue as ones own and ensure that issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Knowledge of operating ticket scanners and/or searching guest bags upon entering the facility
- Understanding of basic guest service principles including ADA accessibility best practices
- Customer Service - Interacts with guests and fans and render assistance to them, ensuring that they have an enjoyable and safe experience at Reed Arena. Provides assistance to guests and provides exceptional service during events. Offers assistance to any guest in need and follows up with the guest to ensure satisfaction.
- Ushering - Assists guests inside of the arena bowl in finding their seats. Direct guests around the arena, keeps an eye out for prohibited items, and enforces building policies. Assists guests in finding their seats. Checks tickets and ensures they are in the right section and seats. Monitors the crowd for guests causing a disturbance or doing anything against the buildings policies. Notifies supervisors of any issues. Moves up and down the stairs in a section to help resolve any issues that occur. Assists guests with accessibility issues.
- Ticket Taking - Is responsible for staffing the entrances of the arena during events and is required to scan the tickets of guests and make sure that no prohibited items are brought inside the building. Scans the tickets of guests coming into the arena using handheld ticket scanners. Directs guests to the nearest ticket box office to buy tickets. Checks to ensure guests are abiding by the building policies (i.e., clear bag policy, no signs, etc.). Communicates to guests clearly what the building policies are if they are not in compliance with them.
- Safety & Security - May provide some sort of security, which can include several different forms of security. May serve as a floor security during events, making sure only credentialed personnel enter backstage hallways and keeping guests off the court or stage. Operates elevators to ensure that guests access only the floors they are permitted to. May provide security in lower level areas, ensuring that only credentialed personnel access these locations. Conducts security bag checks at the doors for prohibited items during events that allow bags in the building.
Instructions to Applicants:
- COMPLIANCE - Maintains continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable NCAA, Southeastern Conference and Texas A&M University rules and regulations. Works to establish and ensure communication and enforcement of rules and regulations for all staff members and student workers supervised. Compliance is a shared responsibility. Performs other duties as assigned.
Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institutions verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institutions procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity. To apply please click here!