Postdoctoral Research AssociateAgency
Texas A&M UniversityDepartment
MeteorologyProposed Minimum Salary
$5,416.67 monthlyJob Location
College Station, TexasJob Type
StaffJob Description Our Commitment
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values . Who we are
The Department of Atmospheric Sciences at Texas A&M University, researches the physical processes that determine our climate as well as providing insight into how and why the climate changes. This is an enormous topic and covers spatial scales from cloud particles, with radii of microns, to large-scale atmospheric waves, with length scales of thousands of kilometers. Topics studied in the department include the physics of convection, climate variability, feedback physics, climate sensitivity, climate extremes, and regional modeling. Variability and predictability of climate on seasonal to millennial timescales, coupled ocean-atmosphere interaction, large-scale dynamics of the atmosphere and the oceans. What we want
Dr. Anita Rapp, Dr. Chris Nowotarski, and Dr. Sarah Brooks, in the Department of Atmospheric Sciences at Texas A&M University, have a DOE project to deploy a mobile sounding and aerosol measurement platform during the upcoming Tracking Aerosol-Convection Interactions Experiment (TRACER) field campaign in Houston. The overarching goal of this project is to understand how the distributions of aerosols correspond to the inflow layer of deep convection across different air masses present in the Houston region, and how these variations influence deep convection.
The TAMU TRACER team seeks a Postdoctoral Research Associate to perform a variety of tasks for this DOE-funded project, which may include: assisting with forecasting, planning, instrument operation, and meteorological and aerosol data collection during field deployments, creating shared datasets, analyzing radar data and performing model simulations using TRACER data. Other benefits of this opportunity is being able to interact with and assist TAMU scientists, as well as help mentor graduate students.
The ideal Postdoctoral Research Associate candidate will participate in field campaigns and have experience in radar data analysis and/or performing model simulations. As well as he or she will have experience preparing results for presentations at academic conferences and publications in peer-reviewed journals, and will support related research efforts in the research group. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If you are looking for your next research opportunity to propel your career and this appeals to you, we encourage you to apply. Wha t you need to know Please note:
You must be able to carry out independent research. You will also need a valid driver's license to serve in this position.Cover Letter/Resume/References:
A cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (to include at least one previous supervisor) are strongly recommended. You may upload all three on the application under CV/Resume or upon answering the questionnaire you may attach the documents. COVID-19 information:
Texas A&M University monitors and updates our recruiting, hiring and onboarding processes to align with local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. Each department has established guidelines for recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes remotely and in-person, which include sanitizing common spaces, mask policy, and maintaining safe physical distancing. Each department will provide the processes and procedures to be followed at each step of the recruitment, hire and onboarding process. Required Education:Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to assist with forecasting, planning, and data collection during field deployments
- Ability to develop and contribute to the development of scientific software
- Ability to develop shared datasets
- Ability to Interact with and assist other TRACER scientists
- Ability to conduct independent research
- Ability to analyze TRACER data and/or perform model simulations
- Ability to mentor graduate and undergraduate students
- Ability to prepare results for presentations at academic conferences and publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
Required Licenses and Certifications:Preferred Education and Experience:
- Participation in the field deployments will require driving back and forth from College Station to the Houston/Galveston area, as well as moving locations within the Houston/Galveston area during a deployment day, at least 30 times over the course of the 4 month intensive operation period of the field deployment.
Responsibilities: Collaborative research
- PhD in Atmospheric Science, Meteorology, or closely related field
- Research experience in convective dynamics, aerosol-convection interactions, cloud modeling, radar or satellite remote sensing, or in situ atmospheric observations
- Experience developing software in IDL, Matlab, Python, Fortran or other scientific programming language is preferred
- Experience running WRF
- As part of the TAMU TRACER team, participate in the forecasting, planning, and data collection during field deployments, help develop shared software, work collaboratively with and assist other TAMU and TRACER scientists, help mentor TAMU TRACER graduate and undergraduate students, contribute to the team research objectives, and participate in science team meetings and academic conferences
- Perform independent research to analyze and/or perform model simulations using campaign data
- Responsible for assisting with data management of the TAMU TRACER project
- Develop shared datasets and support other data management related efforts in the research group
- Perform other duties as assigned
A cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (to include at least one previous supervisor) are strongly recommended. You may upload all three on the application under CV/Resume or upon answering the questionnaire you may attach the documents.Instructions to Applicants:
Applications received by Texas A&M University and TAMHSC, must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institutions verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institutions procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity. To apply please click here!