Veterinary Anesthesia Technician I - SA Anesthesia Agency
Texas A&M University Department
Vet Med-Teaching Hospital Proposed Minimum Salary
Commensurate Job Location
College Station, Texas Job Type
Staff Job DescriptionOur CommitmentTexas A&M University is committed to promoting a culture that embraces, expands, and celebrates inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability that enriches the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff. Diverse perspectives, talents and experiences are invaluable to our
mission and support our core values.Who we are
The Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital (VMTH) includes the Small Animal Hospital http://vethospital.tamu.edu/small-animal-hospital and the Large Animal Hospital http://vethospital.tamu.edu/large-animal-hospital, both of which are dedicated to A Better Life Through Compassion, Innovation, and Discovery. We work with great people, great clinicians, and great educators with a passion for animals and educating others that allows us to provide total care for animal patients while helping to train the next generation of veterinarians at the only veterinary teaching hospital in the state of Texas! What we want
We are looking for a Veterinary Anesthesia Technician I, to join the dynamic Small Animal Anesthesia department of our Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital! The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. The ideal candidate enjoys working in a team environment, assisting in the provision of clinical support to veterinarians in the delivery and instruction of primary patient care and anesthesia services. If this position seems appealing to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity. What you need to knowWork Schedule -
Ability to work alternative shifts, holidays, weekends, and on-call duty. Essential Personnel -
This position is considered essential when the University declares an emergency, campus closure, class cancellations, etc., and are therefore required to report to work and remain on duty unless or until relieved by their direct supervisor. Cover Letter/Resume':
A cover letter and resume' are strongly recommended. You may upload these on the application under CV/Resume. COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep students, employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. For the latest information regarding Texas A&M's COVID-19 response, please visit the University's COVID-19 website. For COVID-19 employment-related information, please visit the Division of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness' COVID-19 website.Required Education and Experience:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associate degree in veterinary technology, biomedical science, animal science, or equivalent education and experience
- Two years of technical experience in veterinary medicine, anesthesia, or related field
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
- Basic computer skills
- General understanding of equipment used in a veterinary medical teaching hospital
- Strong animal handling skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and positively at all levels within the anesthesia service and the Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital
- Must be able to work within time constraints and in crisis situations
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Ability to work around animals, dust or hay
- Persons in this position are considered essential when the University declares an emergency, campus closure, class cancellations, etc., and are therefore required to report to work and remain on duty unless/until relieved by the direct supervisor
- Requires working different shifts and participating in "On Call" coverage
- Participates in emergency duty coverage during veterinary student absences and for holidays
- May be required to working alternate shifts, some overtime, holidays, weekends, or on-call duty
- Ability lift or move heavy objects
Preferred Licenses, Certifications and Registrations:
- Specialty training in anesthesia or related area
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- LVT, Veterinary Technician Specialist (VTS) in Academy of Veterinary Technician Anesthetists (AVTA), OR
- Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians (AVECCT)
- Basic knowledge of anesthesia equipment and techniques
- Clinical and Instructional - Assists faculty, residents, interns, and students with patient care. Facilitates the instruction of professional curriculum veterinary medical students with an emphasis on clinical anesthesia techniques. Assists students in inducing and maintaining anesthesia in a variety of animal species. Performs and assists students in simple catheterization techniques, and the administration of pre-medicants, induction agents, inhalant anesthetics and appropriate analgesics. Assists students and/or staff in preparing patients for surgical procedures to include proper clipping and aseptic surgical site preparation. Monitors or assists students in monitoring anesthetized patients. Monitors or assists students in proper anesthesia recovery techniques. Assists with critical and intensive nursing care or life sustaining emergency care as needed. Provides physical restraint for safe handling of multiple species of patient animals.
- Monitor and Record Data - Ensures that all charges generated from Anesthesia Services are captured and correctly entered into the hospital information system (VMIS). Ensures that all controlled substances used in the Anesthesia Service are properly documented and accounted for. Assists with organizing and maintaining the Anesthesia Service scheduling system. Reviews anesthetic records and pharmacy slips for accuracy and completeness. Records or assists students in recording the patient s physiological data and all medications given on Anesthesia Records.
- Maintain Service Area - Maintains a sanitary and well-organized service area. Restocks supplies, drugs, and solutions. Cleans and repackages items for sterilization specific to the service area.
- On Call and Emergency Duty - Provides emergency Anesthesia call in the small animal clinics with supervision.
- Equipment - Ensures that the proper equipment is available to facilitate patient safety. Maintains and operates point of care laboratory equipment. Maintains and operates patient monitoring equipment. Arranges for Anesthesia Service equipment maintenance when necessary.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
- Training & Certification - Demonstrate mastery of Anesthesia Skills Test I within six months of position. Remains current with safety classes, rabies prophylaxis, and Licensure Radiation/MRI safety Infection Control Aseptic Technique Rabies prophylaxis and maintain certification or licensure where appropriate. Performs other duties as assigned.
In accordance with the federal contractor vaccination mandate, specific facilities at The Texas A&M System may be considered a covered contractor workplace with covered contractor employees. Therefore, successful applicants for this position may be subject to the federal mandate and will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless an approved medical or religious accommodation is in place.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.