Security Officer in Training Nights Agency
Texas A&M University Department
University Police Proposed Minimum Salary
Commensurate Job Location
College Station, Texas Job Type
Staff Job DescriptionOur Commitment Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values. Who we are
Thank you for your interest in the Texas A&M University Police Department (UPD). We strive to educate and train our personnel to develop well-rounded individuals to represent the department in a professional manner, while providing the highest quality service to the community we serve. The Bryan, College Station and Texas A&M University community is a great place to live and work. We offer a meaningful and rewarding career to all of our employees, while providing education and wellness incentives, along with a generous retirement and benefit package. UPD has 160 authorized positions including 78 state certified Police Officers, 52 Security Officers, 13 Communications Officers, 12 administrative support personnel, and 5 Records Technicians. The department maintains a fully staffed investigations division, a crime prevention unit, a recruiting unit, a training division, a victim advocate, and an Emergency Communications Center.
Please visit us at: https://upd.tamu.edu What we want
The Security Officer in Training - Nights, under supervision, receives classroom and on-the-job training from Security Officer Supervisors and University Police Officers to gain familiarity and experience for the position. Provides a positive image of a concerned and capable security professional through bearing, demeanor and presence as duties are performed throughout campus in a highly visible manner during evening and night hours. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity. What you need to knowPay Rate:
$12.21 per hourPlease note:
Applicant must successfully complete a background investigation to include but not limited to driving history, criminal background and credit history.Position Details:
The Security Officer in Training - Nights, works non-business hours shifts starting at or after 4:00 p.m. and ending at 8:00 a.m and they must have the ability to operate a two-wheel self-balancing mobile patrol unit. COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep students, employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. For the latest information regarding Texas A&M's COVID-19 response, please visit the University's COVID-19 website. For COVID-19 employment-related information, please visit the Division of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness' COVID-19 website.Required Education and Experience:
- High School graduation or any equivalent combination of training and experience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to obtain State of Texas class C vehicle operator's license within 30 days of employment
- Inability to obtain State of Texas class C vehicle operator's license may result in termination
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Ability to work with reduced levels of managerial oversight
- Ability to communicate effectively with all segments of the campus population
- Physical ability and mental capabilities to properly carry out responsibilities, which require outside working conditions and shift work with varying days off
- Work non-business hours shifts starting at or after 4:00 p.m. and ending at 8:00 a.m
- Must have the ability to operate a two-wheel self-balancing mobile patrol unit
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others
- Applicant must successfully complete a background investigation to include but not limited to driving history, criminal background and credit history
- College courses in criminal justice or behavioral science programs.
- Prior employment involving contact with the public
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
- Patrols buildings and grounds on foot or car and looks for suspicious activity, unlocked doors, fires, vandalism and act as a deterrent to criminal activity by their presence. Due to less managerial oversight during non-business hours, may be required to make decisions and apply discretion on security issues and criminal reporting issues more frequently than similar positions during business hours.
- Provides on-site security by assuming specific duties within certain buildings, such as libraries, athletic facilities and research laboratories, as well as property of TAMU located off campus. Due to conditions of darkness, must be more alert for hazards and security threats.
- Provides information to visitors, students, and employees or directs such inquiries to appropriate personnel.
- Provides support duty to University Police during instances of special events, e.g. football games, yell practice. Perform other duties as assigned.
In accordance with the federal contractor vaccination mandate, specific facilities at The Texas A&M System may be considered a covered contractor workplace with covered contractor employees. Therefore, successful applicants for this position may be subject to the federal mandate and will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless an approved medical or religious accommodation is in place.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.