Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Bioarchaeology and Genomics (BiG) Laboratory Agency
Texas A&M University Department
Anthropology Proposed Minimum Salary
Commensurate Job Location
College Station, Texas Job Type
Staff Job DescriptionOur Commitment Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values.Who we are
Anthropology, in the College of Liberal Arts, is the study of what it means to be human in the broadest sense, through an examination of culture and society (sociocultural and linguistic anthropology), the biology and evolution of humans and our closest relatives (biological anthropology) and the study of past human communities and material culture (archaeology). Students develop an appreciation of the value of physical and cultural differences at the local, national and global levels, and learn critical thinking skills that support them in careers that involve working with individuals of diverse national or ethnic backgrounds. What we want
The Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Bioarchaeology and Genomics (BiG) Laboratory will study ancient DNA from both human and animal remains, coprolites, and sediment and soil samples. The ideal candidate will be skilled at working both as an independent researcher and as part of a research team, with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others; experience supervising the work of students is especially valued. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity. What you need to knowCover Letter/Resume':
A cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and names and contact details for three references are strongly recommended. You may upload these documents on the application under CV/Resume. COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep students, employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. For the latest information regarding Texas A&M's COVID-19 response, please visit the University's COVID-19 website. For COVID-19 employment-related information, please visit the Division of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness' COVID-19 website.Required Education and Experience:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Anthropology, Biology, genomics or a related field
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
- Knowledge of operation of an ancient DNA lab; extraction of DNA from human and animal bone, teeth, and tissue; extraction of DNA from compounds (coprolites, sediments, soil samples); building libraries and preparing samples for sequencing
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Questions please contact Darryl de Ruiter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Anthropology focusing in particular on archaeological genomics
- Experience working in an ancient DNA lab
- Experience in bioinformatics
- Experience with Peopling of the Americas research
- A research focus in bioarchaeological genomics and the ability to collect DNA samples in an archaeological setting are preferred
- Experience with Peopling of the Americas research would be an asset, as would a proven track record of writing and publishing skills
- Laboratory Manager - Oversee the day-to-day operations of the BiG Lab, including equipment operation and maintenance, inventory and ordering of lab supplies, and supervision of graduate and undergraduate research students working in the lab.
- Research - Participation in research conducted by the faculty in the Department of Anthropology, leading to research publication and outreach. Recent and current research projects in the BiG Lab have focused on human and animal remains (teeth, bone, and soft tissue), coprolites, and sediment and soil samples.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
- Grant or contract solicitation - Seeking grant or contract funding to support research activities. Performs other duties as assigned.
In accordance with the federal contractor vaccination mandate, specific facilities at The Texas A&M System may be considered a covered contractor workplace with covered contractor employees. Therefore, successful applicants for this position may be subject to the federal mandate and will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless an approved medical or religious accommodation is in place.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.