The Tutor is responsible for providing individual and small group tutoring to student-athletes in the AASO facilities, and assisting in improving academic achievement by meeting with student-athletes on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Other assistance might include: reviewing class material, discussing the text, preparing for tests, brainstorming ideas for papers, or working on solutions to practice problems. Tutoring is a supplement to classroom instruction. The Tutor will report to their assigned Learning Specialist and/or the Tutor Coordinator. Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. Works with student-athletes, individually or in small groups, to provide supplemental instruction (including but not limited to reviewing principles, solving practice problems and reviewing for tests).
2. Encourages critical thinking and ensures that student-athletes' knowledge is challenged and explored.
3. Collaborates and communicates with AASO staff members and implement supplemental instruction based on the expectations and standards established by the AASO.
4. Fosters professional relationships with student-athletes to encourage academic and personal growth.
5. Ensures accurate and timely submission of all required documents including but not limited to reports, availability submission, meeting agendas, etc.
6. Maintains confidentiality and adheres to all FERPA guidelines.
7. Learns and adheres to NCAA, Big 12, and Texas Christian University rules and regulations by attending all mandatory training and compliance meetings.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned. Required Education & Experience
: • Completion of two full-time terms from an accredited institution of higher education (as established by provided transcript documentation)
• Earned an A or B in the course(s) to be tutored (as established by provided transcript documentation)
• Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher from an accredited institution of higher education (as established by provided transcript documentation)
Preferred Education & Experience: • Tutoring or teaching experience.
• Completion of Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
• None Preferred Licensure, Certification, and/or Specialized Training:
• None Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge and competence in the subject matter.
• Knowledge and successful application of various academic skills.
• Skill in organization and ability to complete paperwork in a timely manner.
• Skill in Microsoft Office Suite
• Skill in Adobe Acrobat
• Skill in using Zoom or other virtual meeting software
• Ability to manage multiple complex assignments with sensitivity to deadlines, priorities, and changing circumstances.
• Ability to explain concepts to others effectively and ability to effectively communicate study strategies to ensure academic success.
• Ability to conduct and facilitate tutoring sessions individually or in small groups.
• Ability to maintain required documentation and tutoring notes.
• Ability to work with student-athletes of diverse, ethnic backgrounds.
• Ability to exhibit characteristics of responsibility and desire to help others with discretion and flexibility.
• Ability to work independently by applying critical thinking and problem-solving skills in various situations. Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs. Work Environment:
• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
• There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
• The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate. AA/EEO Statement:
As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Advertised:
January 26, 2021 Central Standard Time Applications close: To apply please click here!