The Academic Coach is responsible for reinforcing the Athletic Academic Services Office (AASO) commitment to transformative education by helping student-athletes with learning strategies, organization, study skills and alignment of their academic priorities. Academic Coaches work with identified student-athletes based on recent matriculation, developing academic achievement and/or learning differences. Academic Coaches seek to model appropriate behavior for learning, provide customized instruction and guide student-athletes through the learning process. The Academic Coach will report to their assigned Learning Specialist and/or the Tutor Coordinator. Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. Works with student-athletes individually or in small groups to build fundamental academic skills using direct instruction methods and appropriate learning strategies.
2. Collaborates and communicates with AASO staff members to design and implement academic success plans based on the expectations and standards established by the AASO.
3. Assists in the identification, develop and implement appropriate learning strategies and study skills in order to maximize student-athlete success.
4. Fosters professional relationship with student-athletes to encourage academic and personal growth.
5. Ensures accurate and timely submission of all required documents including but not limited to reports, availability submission, weekly meeting agendas, etc.
6. Maintains confidentiality and adhere to all FERPA guidelines
7. Learns and adheres to NCAA, Big 12, and Texas Christian University rules and regulations by attending all mandatory trainings and meetings (e.g. - compliance meetings and weekly meetings)
8. Performs other related duties as assigned. Required Education & Experience
: • Bachelor's degree in progress from an accredited institution of higher education.
Preferred Education & Experience: • Tutoring or teaching experience.
• Master's degree in progress from an accredited institution of higher education. Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
• None Preferred Licensure, Certification, and/or Specialized Training:
• None Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge and successful application of various academic skills.
• Knowledge of emerging trends and best practices in education.
• Knowledge of effective learning strategies for adult learners.
• Skill in organization and ability to complete paperwork in a timely manner.
• Skill in Microsoft Office Suite
• Skill in Adobe Acrobat
• Skill in using Zoom or other virtual meeting software
• Ability to manage multiple complex assignments with sensitivity to deadlines, priorities, and changing circumstances.
• Ability to create lesson plans with clearly defined learning objectives, goals, and a metric for measuring progress toward these goals.
• Ability to explain concepts to others effectively and ability to effectively communicate study strategies to ensure academic success.
• Ability to conduct and facilitate coaching sessions individually or in small groups.
• Ability to maintain required documentation and tutoring notes.
• Ability to work with student-athletes of diverse, ethnic backgrounds.
• Ability to exhibit characteristics of responsibility and desire to help others with discretion and flexibility.
• Ability to work independently by applying critical thinking and problem-solving skills in various situations. Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs. Work Environment:
• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
• There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
• The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate. AA/EEO Statement:
As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
NOTIFICATION OF COMPLIANCE WITH NCAA REGULATIONS:
This job description includes the expectation of compliance with NCAA regulations. An institutional staff member who is found in violation of NCAA regulations shall be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in the provisions of the NCAA enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repetitive violations.Advertised:
January 26, 2021 Central Standard Time Applications close: To apply please click here!